Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Admit to your Guilty Pleasures

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
UnknownKadath

Location : I live in my namesake, of course!.. Okay, in real life - Japan.

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:24 pm

Tommy Wiseau wrote:
UnknownKadath wrote:

On that note, how do you feel about the Quadrophenia movie?

I like Quadrophenia. The reason I see Tommy as a guilty pleasure is all things considered, it isn't particularly well directed (I can enjoy Ken Russel's knack for the weird, as evidenced with my enjoyment of Lair of the White Worm and arguably his most well known flick, Altered States - but he isn't a very accomplished director honestly.) and I felt that it didn't really properly envision the album and felt disjointed, plus it was a somewhat poor decision to put a few big names who aren't exactly singers into some of the roles (Though the famous singers that do appear - did fantastic. I absolutely love Turner's rendition of Acid Queen.) and it was just plain silly at times and didn't really carry any of the drama that should have accompanied the story for me. It is more of just a fun acid trip for me with good music (When Ollie or Jack Nicholson isn't singing; though thankfully they were pretty minimal.)

Quadrophenia however, felt like a more proper envisioning of the album. It carried the drama - and it did a fantastic job getting the albums themes across on film, not to mention it did a great job with the design and style of the era and making a taught representation of the Mods/Rockers war. I will admit the Quadrophenia movie can feel a bit slow at points, but I think it is very well made and a very good envisioning of the album.

The Dude wrote:

lol, Zardoz. The first time I watched it - I went "WHAT IN THE NAME OF FUCK WAS THAT!?" and then I snickered myself silly. It became a cult favourite between my wife & I. In a comic we wrote called Beelzeboss, we made a reference to Zardoz that later became something of a running gag. In one of the story archs, Damien and the slaves build a time machine and go back to World War II. The Time Machine was represented by a creepy ginormous head, and in the past - it went apeshit and started spewing random crap from the future; and in one scene, it upchucks a bunch of guns onto the allied forces. We did it a few more times as well when the Time machine appeared in later issues, sadly no one seemed to get that it was a reference though the Time Machine actually became a popular gag (Even if it had more than one trick with it, of course.) which is why we occasionally threw in the reference when bringing the Time Machine head thing back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:58 pm

You know, weird though it was, I legitimately liked Zardoz, camp appeal aside. There's no denying that a lot of thought and creativity went into it, and I thought, for some reason I cannot really explain, that the ending was actually pretty touching. But that could just be me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
UnknownKadath

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:05 am

The Dude wrote:
You know, weird though it was, I legitimately liked Zardoz, camp appeal aside. There's no denying that a lot of thought and creativity went into it, and I thought, for some reason I cannot really explain, that the ending was actually pretty touching. But that could just be me.

I do enjoy the film on some of its own merits, but it really did take me a couple times to really look past the sillier and stranger moments and appreciate some of what was going on beneath it all.

Also, despite being a bit recycled from its predecessor - I enjoy

Also,

and
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:07 am

Watched all three of those movies at one point, liked em all too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:44 am

I have Dracula and Frankenstein on tape but haven't watched them for some reason.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
obin_gam

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:24 pm

I have always wanted to see the Andy Warhol monster movies but have never gotten the chance. Is it much sex and nekedness in them or is that just what reviewers focus on too much?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
UnknownKadath

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:22 pm

The Dude wrote:
I have Dracula and Frankenstein on tape but haven't watched them for some reason.
Watch them. They're utterly insane and weird, but manage to be successful at being foul and dark whilst utterly hilarious; provided you have a taste for sick humour.

obin_gam wrote:
I have always wanted to see the Andy Warhol monster movies but have never gotten the chance. Is it much sex and nekedness in them or is that just what reviewers focus on too much?
It's actually false to call them Andy Warhol's pictures, as they weren't made by Warhol though they were funded and produced by Warhol and made by Paul Morrissey, who was making films under Warhol's producer credits for quite awhile. Yet they still come across as the sort of thing Warhol would concoct; and yes, they are chock full of sex and nakedness as well as bizarre dark violent and sexual humour. They're... something else, to say the least.

While I'm here - here's one I always have trouble admitting to enjoying.

I'm one of what has to be only 3 people on the planet that derived some entertainment from that movie; even if there's no denying it's pretty damned stupid and unfocused.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Son Of Jack Deth

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:19 pm

UnknownKadath wrote:

I'm one of what has to be only 3 people on the planet that derived some entertainment from that movie; even if there's no denying it's pretty damned stupid and unfocused.

I enjoy it. Great score by John Barry, with fun songs by Thomas Dolby. Jeffery Jones is a blast as the Dark Overlord, and Lea Thompson is *sigh* forever beautiful (those legs). Even in 80's hair. : )

This film is bad, but it's not that bad. It often gets grouped in with Ishtar, but I can find nothing entertaining in Ishtar. I do however find quite a bit entertaining in Howard T. Duck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
UnknownKadath

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:20 am

Son Of Jack Deth wrote:
UnknownKadath wrote:

I enjoy it. Great score by John Barry, with fun songs by Thomas Dolby. Jeffery Jones is a blast as the Dark Overlord, and Lea Thompson is *sigh* forever beautiful (those legs). Even in 80's hair. : )

This film is bad, but it's not that bad. It often gets grouped in with Ishtar, but I can find nothing entertaining in Ishtar. I do however find quite a bit entertaining in Howard T. Duck.

Why is it grouped with Ishtar for fucks sake? I genuinely groaned while attempting to sit through Ishtar, in fact it's on my bracket for the bad movie contest thing going on in the General forums. The only reason I can think of; is it grouped with Ishtar because it was a comedy with a decent budget and big names attached that ended up dropping as a massive bomb critically and at the box office? That's really the only way I can connect the two. Also, Lea Thompson is always cute. I especially loved how cute and timid she was in the first Back to the Future flick.

While I'm here, here is 2 more. The first one isn't really a guilty pleasure from the standpoint that I always admit to it being one of my favourite comedies, but I know a lot of people who look down on it and apparently it is considered more of a cult hit. The second one is a bit more guilty.

The reason I consider Seed a guilty pleasure is when people ask me what I think of Child's Play or the Chucky series; I usually groan. I never really cared for them. Yet out of boredom, I turned on Seed and actually laughed my arse off. I still hate hearing Brad Dourif in a role so utterly beneath him, but I found the movie itself funny as hell.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paul Atreides

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:11 am

I have several guilty pleasures....

DUNE is one of my favorite films of all time for all the wrong reasons. Its the funniest film I have ever watched.
I have watched DUNE again and again more times then any other film and I still laugh out loud at many parts of it.

I saw this in theaters when I was 11 years old. It was the first time I had ever watched anything Superman related and I loved it.
I know its a film most people hate but I will always stand by it as an 8/10

If you can struggle the radioactive poodle, the Hulk as a jumping bean near the end, and "the bubble"; you'll find a very smart and psychological that is a vastly underrated film. Ang Lee had a brilliant vision but didn't understand the concept of a fight scene for the Hulk. The 2008 film, on the flip side, got all the action right but it was as deep or psychological as your average summer action film.

Those are my guilty pleasures. There "guilty" for a reason so don't bother trying to tell me how terrible Hulk or Superman Returns is; you'll be the millionth one and its not going to change anything.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:27 am

"Those are my guilty pleasures. There "guilty" for a reason so don't bother trying to tell me how terrible Hulk or Superman Returns is; you'll be the millionth one and its not going to change anything."

Tou-chy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:14 pm

You know what? Fuck it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
UnknownKadath

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:58 pm

The Dude wrote:
You know what? Fuck it.

Star Wars Episode II wasn't so bad. Honestly, with the exception of Phantom Menace (Which only had a couple good scenes) I don't think the prequel trilogy is as bad as you often hear. I really think the only reason they get ripped on so much is the fact that they had A LOT to live up to and so the hype crushed them. Yet I think Episode II and III are fairly good when you ignore I and the prestige of the original trilogy.

Paul Atreides wrote:

If you can struggle the radioactive poodle, the Hulk as a jumping bean near the end, and "the bubble"; you'll find a very smart and psychological that is a vastly underrated film. Ang Lee had a brilliant vision but didn't understand the concept of a fight scene for the Hulk. The 2008 film, on the flip side, got all the action right but it was as deep or psychological as your average summer action film.

Yay! I'm not the only one who liked Ang Lee's version of The Hulk/ . From what I can gather, the psychological aspect is something a lot of people hated about Lee's version. Ang Lee didn't want to create a standard super-hero flick, he wanted to turn it into a drama about a man forced to go through change. I felt he pulled it off. The action can be a bit flimsy, but I feel it is underrated as well and Lee pulled off the Dramatic element well. Yet apparently Hulk fans wanted more Hulk Smash and less emotion. I still thought the recent Hulk film was pretty good too though.

Now for another of mine:

I consider it guilty mainly because Fulci DID get somewhat lazy with this one. It relies a lot on stock footage from his other movies. Yet I still really enjoy it, and while it carries the proud Fulci tradition of having terrible writing (Then again - that's part of the charm for me.) I thought the story was a clever premise. Basically, Fulci plays himself. He is filming one of his films and is shooting a scene where a woman is made into steaks for a cannibal, and when he goes to eat some meat he starts seeing severed body parts. He starts hallucinating all the deaths from his films, and goes to a Psychiatrist - who turns out to be evil (An evil psychiatrist? The most redundant statement I've made all day.) and plays with Fulci by watching his movies and then murdering people based on the deaths in Fulci's film, and since Fulci has several screws loose - not only does that mean others suspect him, he thinks that he is having psychotic episodes and is responsible. All the while the psychatirst mwahhaahas in his comfy chair.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
IAKO

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:34 am

Can't think of a single guilty pleasure movie. Guilty pleasure music yes, but only that. I have no problem admitting I like any of the movies I like, but maybe the time will come.

UnknownKadath wrote:
I consider it guilty mainly because Fulci DID get somewhat lazy with this one. It relies a lot on stock footage from his other movies. Yet I still really enjoy it, and while it carries the proud Fulci tradition of having terrible writing (Then again - that's part of the charm for me.) I thought the story was a clever premise. Basically, Fulci plays himself. He is filming one of his films and is shooting a scene where a woman is made into steaks for a cannibal, and when he goes to eat some meat he starts seeing severed body parts. He starts hallucinating all the deaths from his films, and goes to a Psychiatrist - who turns out to be evil (An evil psychiatrist? The most redundant statement I've made all day.) and plays with Fulci by watching his movies and then murdering people based on the deaths in Fulci's film, and since Fulci has several screws loose - not only does that mean others suspect him, he thinks that he is having psychotic episodes and is responsible. All the while the psychatirst mwahhaahas in his comfy chair.

I have this one on DVD, but I haven't watched it yet. Right now I really want to, your description make the film sounds like something I'd dig.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Angie Matera

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:25 pm

UnknownKadath wrote:
The Dude wrote:
You know what? Fuck it.

Star Wars Episode II wasn't so bad. Honestly, with the exception of Phantom Menace (Which only had a couple good scenes) I don't think the prequel trilogy is as bad as you often hear. I really think the only reason they get ripped on so much is the fact that they had A LOT to live up to and so the hype crushed them. Yet I think Episode II and III are fairly good when you ignore I and the prestige of the original trilogy.

Paul Atreides wrote:

Yay! I'm not the only one who liked Ang Lee's version of The Hulk/ . From what I can gather, the psychological aspect is something a lot of people hated about Lee's version. Ang Lee didn't want to create a standard super-hero flick, he wanted to turn it into a drama about a man forced to go through change. I felt he pulled it off. The action can be a bit flimsy, but I feel it is underrated as well and Lee pulled off the Dramatic element well. Yet apparently Hulk fans wanted more Hulk Smash and less emotion. I still thought the recent Hulk film was pretty good too though.

Now for another of mine:

Tommy,Cat in the brain,Zardoz,Seed of chucky, you have damn good taste in guilty pleasures
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/angelina.matera
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:13 pm

UnknownKadath wrote:
The Dude wrote:
You know what? Fuck it.

Likewise, the only one I thought was legitimately bad was Phantom Menace. I actually thought Episode III was pretty damn good, with Episode II being decent.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:46 pm

Yeah, I was able to make it through Episodes II and III and like them, Episode I....yeah....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
UnknownKadath

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:45 am

I can more or less agree with the snobs reviews of VS1 & 2, but I actually laughed pretty hard at #III. It was worth it just to see an army of ridiculous grill-masked cannibals blowing up zombies and fighting pirates and military folk. It's stupid fun, and thankfully didn't repeat the standard VS 1 & 2 formula; thankfully.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:17 am

The Jackass Trilogy. Still funny.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
UnknownKadath

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:31 pm

The Dude wrote:

I'm still trying to grow a pair and watch those. It's not the stunts that bother me (Their stunts always made me laugh) but the actual gross-out humour on the TV show was too much for my taste, and I fear what they can do in that department with a full R rating. I'm being serious when one of their gross-out segments on the TV show has made it so that I refuse to ever eat an omelet.

Oh, and while I'm here, here's two more.

I actually know quite a few people who like this movie, so it's not an ultra-guilty pleasure - but I consider it one because I normally don't like this kind of comedy. When I saw the previews, I expected to hate this - but I watched it and ended up laughing my arse off. I think one of my favourite scenes has to be when he meets the Beatles.

"Hello Dewey, we're the trippy cartoon Beatles, welcoming you to your acid trip!"

lol.

Secondly,

I know a lot of people who consider this one of Burton's worst (In fact, until that crummy Planet of the Apes remake came out pretty much everyone said it was his worst Sad) but I've always loved this film. The only thing I really dislike is the fact that the Aliens are CG, when it's been proven that Burton had done some stop motion but used CG to make the movie faster. Knowing that he could've used some awesome stop motion does disappoint me, but I still have fun with this movie. I always chuckle at the bit where the Aliens knock about the Washington monument back and forth attempting to crush a fleeing gang of boy scouts.

Last edited by UnknownKadath on Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:59 pm

UnknownKadath wrote:
The Dude wrote:

I'm still trying to grow a pair and watch those. It's not the stunts that bother me (Their stunts always made me laugh) but the actual gross-out humour on the TV show was too much for my taste, and I fear what they can do in that department with a full R rating. I'm being serious when one of their gross-out segments on the TV show has made it so that I refuse to ever eat an omelet.

That's a pretty legitimate fear. If you're on the fence, the phrases "Horse Semen" and "Port-o-John Slingshot" should tell you everything you need to know. Be that as it may, the closest I've ever come to throwing up while watching a Jackass film was not because the scene I was watching was particularly disgusting, but because I was laughing so hard that it not only hurt, but that I started to gag a little, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
UnknownKadath

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:26 pm

The Dude wrote:
UnknownKadath wrote:
The Dude wrote:

That's a pretty legitimate fear. If you're on the fence, the phrases "Horse Semen" and "Port-o-John Slingshot" should tell you everything you need to know. Be that as it may, the closest I've ever come to throwing up while watching a Jackass film was not because the scene I was watching was particularly disgusting, but because I was laughing so hard that it not only hurt, but that I started to gag a little, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

"Port-o-john Slingshot" sounds tolerable, even if we see the excrement; as long as it isn't actively consumed. For some reason people getting buried in crap doesn't disgust me if it's far away from me, and in the slingshot context - it's kind of "You had it coming." Horse semen..... No thanks. I have a feeling what I'll probably do is have my wife guide me through, I actually found out she was a fan of the most recent one so she knows where the worst gross out ones are.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:13 am

UnknownKadath wrote:
The Dude wrote:
UnknownKadath wrote:
The Dude wrote:

"Port-o-john Slingshot" sounds tolerable, even if we see the excrement; as long as it isn't actively consumed. For some reason people getting buried in crap doesn't disgust me if it's far away from me, and in the slingshot context - it's kind of "You had it coming." Horse semen..... No thanks. I have a feeling what I'll probably do is have my wife guide me through, I actually found out she was a fan of the most recent one so she knows where the worst gross out ones are.
That reminds me: at one point in Jackass 2, some horse shit is consumed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
UnknownKadath

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:38 pm

The Dude wrote:
UnknownKadath wrote:
The Dude wrote:
UnknownKadath wrote:
The Dude wrote:

That reminds me: at one point in Jackass 2, some horse shit is consumed.

No

While I'm here:

I kind of wish they wouldn't smack Ernest's mug so prominently on the cover when (thankfully) he only has a very brief scene in the film; but this has been a guilty pleasure of mine for years. I will admit that the hero of the film is lame and the scenes focusing on him are usually really fucking dull, but whenever Dr. Otto or one of his many disguises and minions show up - it's a surprisingly funny and offbeat dark comedy. I kind of feel it shows off what talent Varney did have as a character actor and make me wish even more that he wasn't typecast as that damn Ernest character for most of his career.

Also,

I actually like this film a lot. It gets a lot of shit but I actually think it's kind of good, stupid fun.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:05 pm

Are you not a fan of Ernest Unknown?

Ernest rocks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   

Back to top Go down

Admit to your Guilty Pleasures