Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Admit to your Guilty Pleasures

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
UnknownKadath

Location : I live in my namesake, of course!.. Okay, in real life - Japan.

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:58 pm

Frank Rizzo wrote:
Are you not a fan of Ernest Unknown?

Ernest rocks!

I'm not particularly a huge Ernest fan; though I will say you can add "Ernest Goes to Jail" to me guilty pleasures list. I just get tired of his character quickly, kind of annoys me. Plus as I kind of mentioned with Dr. Otto, I wish that Varney wasn't typecast as Ernest and got to do more than just Ernest movies and really only appearing in a VERY small handful of non-Ernest related movies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Son Of Jack Deth

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:03 am

UnknownKadath wrote:
The Dude wrote:
UnknownKadath wrote:
The Dude wrote:
UnknownKadath wrote:
The Dude wrote:
The Jackass Trilogy. Still funny.

I'm still trying to grow a pair and watch those. It's not the stunts that bother me (Their stunts always made me laugh) but the actual gross-out humour on the TV show was too much for my taste, and I fear what they can do in that department with a full R rating. I'm being serious when one of their gross-out segments on the TV show has made it so that I refuse to ever eat an omelet.

That's a pretty legitimate fear. If you're on the fence, the phrases "Horse Semen" and "Port-o-John Slingshot" should tell you everything you need to know. Be that as it may, the closest I've ever come to throwing up while watching a Jackass film was not because the scene I was watching was particularly disgusting, but because I was laughing so hard that it not only hurt, but that I started to gag a little, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

"Port-o-john Slingshot" sounds tolerable, even if we see the excrement; as long as it isn't actively consumed. For some reason people getting buried in crap doesn't disgust me if it's far away from me, and in the slingshot context - it's kind of "You had it coming." Horse semen..... No thanks. I have a feeling what I'll probably do is have my wife guide me through, I actually found out she was a fan of the most recent one so she knows where the worst gross out ones are.
That reminds me: at one point in Jackass 2, some horse shit is consumed.

No

While I'm here:

I kind of wish they wouldn't smack Ernest's mug so prominently on the cover when (thankfully) he only has a very brief scene in the film; but this has been a guilty pleasure of mine for years. I will admit that the hero of the film is lame and the scenes focusing on him are usually really fucking dull, but whenever Dr. Otto or one of his many disguises and minions show up - it's a surprisingly funny and offbeat dark comedy. I kind of feel it shows off what talent Varney did have as a character actor and make me wish even more that he wasn't typecast as that damn Ernest character for most of his career.

Also,

I actually like this film a lot. It gets a lot of shit but I actually think it's kind of good, stupid fun.

Both great titles. Have you ever seen "Hey Verne It's My Family Album". It's hysterical.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:16 am

"Both great titles. Have you ever seen "Hey Verne It's My Family Album". It's hysterical."

indeed, a very good piece of Ernest work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheCinemaCynic

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:50 am

I know I'm asking for a beheading with this one but fuck it:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
UnknownKadath

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:02 am

Son Of Jack Deth wrote:

Both great titles. Have you ever seen "Hey Verne It's My Family Album". It's hysterical.

Nope. The only Ernest films I've seen are a few of the "Ernest goes to..." or "Ernest [verb] [adjective and/or noun.]" theatrical ones. I actually think one reason Ernest may annoy me a little now is I kind of got sick of him as a kid, my brother & I liked his movies when we were kids but I was driven mad by the fact that my brother watched almost nothing but Ernest. I've seen Ernest Scared Stupid more times than just about any other human being besides my brother x.X I had a lower tolerance to repetition than he did.

TheCinemaCynic wrote:
I know I'm asking for a beheading with this one but fuck it:

Don't worry, there will be no beheading in this thread. I can't guarantee your safety outside of the thread, but the entire point of this thread is to admit to your guilty pleasures and remain unscathed from the more violent variety of Cinema Snobs. Gotta keep a look out for those Weresnobs. I can't judge Transformers 2, but that's because I didn't bother to see it. It's just not my kind of movie - plus even though the toys kicked ass, even growing up I never really liked the TV show or animated movie.

While I'm here -

I don't know why but I get a kick out of Divine, even in genuinely bad movies but I actually enjoy Lust in the Dust so I'm adding it to the thread.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:05 am

This movie is pure nostalgia for me, it's hard for me to hate it nowadays.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
UnknownKadath

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:48 am

Tommy Wiseau wrote:

This movie is pure nostalgia for me, it's hard for me to hate it nowadays.

Same here. Haven't seen it forever (Except for the footage used in the NC review), but I remember loving it when it came out. By the way maybe you missed it since the page changed after you asked, but I did answer you regarding my thoughts on Quadrophenia a couple pages back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:08 am

UnknownKadath wrote:
Same here. Haven't seen it forever (Except for the footage used in the NC review), but I remember loving it when it came out. By the way maybe you missed it since the page changed after you asked, but I did answer you regarding my thoughts on Quadrophenia a couple pages back.

I did see it, in fact. I have to admit, though, I've never seen it. Since you had positive things to say about it, I think I'll give it a look.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
UnknownKadath

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:27 pm

Tommy Wiseau wrote:
UnknownKadath wrote:

I did see it, in fact. I have to admit, though, I've never seen it. Since you had positive things to say about it, I think I'll give it a look.

Ah. Be sure to tell me what you think when you do.

While I'm here -

I actually watched that only a year or so ago, and was expecting another Space Jam level insult to the Looney Tunes. Plus Brendan Fraiser gets on my nerves a little; yet I actually thought this was fairly fun, especially Steve Martin. Didn't even recognize him at first, but he seemed to have a lot of fun in his part.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:07 pm

You didn't like Space Jam?

I thought it was kinda funny. To me, Michael Jordan was a surprisingly not sucky actor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
UnknownKadath

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:15 pm

Frank Rizzo wrote:
You didn't like Space Jam?

I thought it was kinda funny. To me, Michael Jordan was a surprisingly not sucky actor.

I wasn't too fond of Space Jam, no. It had some funny moments but they were way too far and few inbetween.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:30 pm

Most people I know are the other way around, loved Space Jam, hated Back in Action.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
UnknownKadath

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:20 pm

Frank Rizzo wrote:
Most people I know are the other way around, loved Space Jam, hated Back in Action.

Really? Then again, most people I know didn't like either. Guess that's partly why it's a guilty pleasure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
relauby

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:20 pm

Did anyone ever see those old Saturday morning Beatles cartoons they did back in the '60s? They're dumb, poorly animated, badly acted, but I love them for it. Having their songs in them though doesn't hurt either, though. I guess it's mostly because I'm a big Beatles fan that I can stand them, but they are kind of fun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eckertmania

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:32 pm

How about the '94 Street Fighter movie with Van Damme? That one is certainly a guilty pleasure for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://asliceomind.wordpress.com/
Vendaval FJ

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:31 am

Eckertmania wrote:
How about the '94 Street Fighter movie with Van Damme? That one is certainly a guilty pleasure for me.

You need to see this:
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://forgottenjunk.webs.com/
Son Of Jack Deth

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:25 am

Vendaval FJ wrote:
Eckertmania wrote:

You need to see this:

Oh I have to find a copy of this film.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:00 am

I haven't seen this since I was a kid, but I loved it at the time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
UnknownKadath

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:07 pm

Tommy Wiseau wrote:

I haven't seen this since I was a kid, but I loved it at the time.

I don't know why but that cover disturbs me. Maybe it's one of those things you just aren't supposed to think about much, but the visual gag immediately brought the horrifying image of a kid with a rocket up his arse. Y'know what, I think I'm going to slap my brain around a bit for giving me that image. My brain scares me. If only I wasn't so cowardly about getting a lobotomy...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:34 am

Not to mention that the one kid's head looks like it's been inflated to a very unhealthy amount.

You know what, even Rupert Grint doesn't look right.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheCinemaCynic

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:12 am

I haven't seen this since I was a kid but it was my favorite of all the turtle movies back then
Back to top Go down
View user profile
barrylikesbnbns

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:33 am

Honestly, I find it difficult to beleive someone thought the script for this was passable, but the cheese is just beautiful.

"My friends call me Murphy... You call me, RoboCop."
- That was blunt for a final line, and not very clever.

"We're dead you stupid slag!"
"Don't count on it chump"

- Ever heard someone swear when they have the voice and personality that contradicts it? That's what I felt with the antagonist when he said 'slag'. It didn't suit his voice. Anyway, what type of line it that anyway?

The most ridiculous ending to a movie ever. Complete with robotic ninjas, air strikes, explosions and poor special effects.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
UnknownKadath

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:20 am

Tommy Wiseau wrote:
Not to mention that the one kid's head looks like it's been inflated to a very unhealthy amount.

You know what, even Rupert Grint doesn't look right.

Wait.. Rupert Grint? As in the one from Harry Potter?

Huh, figured I'd recognize him. I have a soft spot for the Harry Potter books/moviess.

Oh - and while I'm here:
Most Bond fans I know seem to think that TWINE is where Brosnan's Bond got a bit too silly. I actually really enjoyed it though... Plus it's kind of nostalgic for me, it was the first Bond I saw in the theatres which was a big thing for me when I was a kid.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:39 am

TheCinemaCynic wrote:

I haven't seen this since I was a kid but it was my favorite of all the turtle movies back then

This one and Secret of the Ooze have always flip flopped as my favorite of the Turtle movies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:43 am

The World Is Not Enough, to me, had a lot of disappointing potential to be a lot better. Elektra made for a great villain, the direction was great, and there were some truly impacting scenes that are pretty rare for a Bond film, let alone Pierce Brosnan. If only the action was better (a huge step down from Tomorrow Never Dies, imo), and Renard made more of an impression. And Denise Richards. Also, the story could have been great, but ended up being a little too convoluted.

As for my Bond Guilty Pleasures:

Live And Let Die
The Man With The Golden Gun
A View to a Kill (Actually, I don't like it, but Zorin and May Day are just too damn awesome for me not to have a bit of a soft spot)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Admit to your Guilty Pleasures   

Back to top Go down

Admit to your Guilty Pleasures
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next