Pierre Kirby Approved.
 
HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 My band's cd is finished, check it out?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Loxx O)))

avatar

Posts : 102
Join date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: My band's cd is finished, check it out?   Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:03 am






Lance of Longinus Black, Vol. 1

1. Escape by Dawn
2. House Behind The Painted Veil
3. Pronouncing Doom
4. Broken Spirit

Total runtime is 38 minutes.

So, the cd is now available for purchase physically or digitally. Physical copies are $10. As you can see from the pictures, they are wrapped in parchment and sealed with black wax.

If anyone is interested in getting a physical copy, just send me a message via the board. Also, the physical copies are in limited supply.

For digital copies just go to http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com There you can download the tracks individually for free, if you wish. Or, you can buy the whole cd in a bundle for $5. The bundle comes with the art for a t-shirt design that's coming later and the lyrics in a text file. Not much, I know... but if you feel like supporting the option is there. It did cost me money to get these cds made so any donation is appreciated.

If you've got any other questions about the cd or whatever dealing with Lance of Longinus, just let me know.

Even if you don't want to buy and just give it a listen and some opinions, that would be really cool as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheCinemaCynic

avatar

Posts : 58
Join date : 2011-01-23
Age : 23
Location : New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: My band's cd is finished, check it out?   Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:17 am

I really like it musically but dude, I'm sorry but you can't sing for shit. Other then that it's really good bro. Just wondering, who are some of your influences?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Loxx O)))

avatar

Posts : 102
Join date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: My band's cd is finished, check it out?   Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:21 am

Clean vocals I know I'm not very good at... but I do like my harsh vocals.

Some of my influences... ah... Dark Castle, Baroness, Bloody Panda, Sunn O))), Gallhammer, Electric Wizard. Lot's of doom, drone, and sludge stuff. There is a bit of a black metal influence from bands like Darkthrone and Clair Cassis, too.

But hey, thanks for checking it out. I appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile


avatar

Posts : 62
Join date : 2011-02-25

PostSubject: Re: My band's cd is finished, check it out?   Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:50 am

...oh god.
fix that mixing bro.

It has potential but the instruments are reading as too distinct from one another. Fix the levels or do some post prepossessing to give it a more cohesive feel. Otherwise it's pretty decent. Not really into BM any more but I am definitely getting a Darkspace/Les Légions Noires vibe off of it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AssimanDHI



Posts : 39
Join date : 2011-03-07
Age : 25
Location : Poland

PostSubject: Re: My band's cd is finished, check it out?   Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:27 pm

Genre being? You can't just say: "Buy our shit" without telling us what kind of shit you're talking about.

People talking about bad mixing are complete newbies to underground scene. There was nothing wrong with the mixing (except the drums sounded like Winnieh The Pooh toy drums at points). I don't mind your "screeching" voice, but your (if that's you as well) growling isn't that great. I don't really care for growling that much in the first place though. That's why I like black metal, but dislike death metal.

Train your growling or drop it completely and concentrate on your "screeching" and "rawring" , then you're pretty listenable band.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
yakityyakblah

avatar

Posts : 215
Join date : 2011-01-22

PostSubject: Re: My band's cd is finished, check it out?   Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:50 am

They need to come up with some technical terms for this stuff, because growling and screeching kind of doesn't cut it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile


avatar

Posts : 62
Join date : 2011-02-25

PostSubject: Re: My band's cd is finished, check it out?   Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:14 am

AssimanDHI wrote:

People talking about bad mixing are complete newbies to underground scene.
Ummmm... actually no.

This isn't the fucking 70's anymore or even the 90's for that matter. Mixing equipment/software is cheap as shit if not free. There is no excuse for bad mixing these days unless you just didn't put in the effort or are just new to recording. I get that this band is going for that raw black metal sound but it isn't working because the mix is off and the sound itself is more an issue of sound quality rather then mixing anyway. I'm just saying he needs to play with the levels a bit more to make the instruments fit together it has nothing to do with him being an "underground band".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AssimanDHI



Posts : 39
Join date : 2011-03-07
Age : 25
Location : Poland

PostSubject: Re: My band's cd is finished, check it out?   Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:20 pm

Dude, not everyone can afford mixing equipment. Like if you listen to some Chinese hardcore shit that's recorded on old casettes.

Then again, op isn't from China so my argument is invalid.

Btw, some people actually like the shitty sound quality. I'm sure that's what they were aiming for here
Back to top Go down
View user profile
yakityyakblah

avatar

Posts : 215
Join date : 2011-01-22

PostSubject: Re: My band's cd is finished, check it out?   Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:58 pm

Assimon is right, weirdly enough there is an audience for black metal that sees proper mixing as not hardcore enough or something. Black metal has a lot of stupid surrounding it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AssimanDHI



Posts : 39
Join date : 2011-03-07
Age : 25
Location : Poland

PostSubject: Re: My band's cd is finished, check it out?   Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:34 pm

yakityyakblah wrote:
Assimon is right, weirdly enough there is an audience for black metal that sees proper mixing as not hardcore enough or something. Black metal has a lot of stupid surrounding it.
It's not about stupidity, though some "newfag" black metal bands use it simply because it's true hardcore of satan yeah yyeah yeah, or something. I think the shitty quality was originally in black metal to add some athmosphere and I don't know about you, but I think it worked. Besides, some one man black metal bands are much better when they have shitty quality, because otherwise you would clearly hear that the musician isn't that skilled.

Yeah, I guess I'm one of those idiots then.
Back to top Go down
View user profile


avatar

Posts : 62
Join date : 2011-02-25

PostSubject: Re: My band's cd is finished, check it out?   Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:39 pm

AssimanDHI wrote:
Dude, not everyone can afford mixing equipment. Like if you listen to some Chinese hardcore shit that's recorded on old casettes.

Then again, op isn't from China so my argument is invalid.

Btw, some people actually like the shitty sound quality. I'm sure that's what they were aiming for here
If he can afford a computer he can just pirate some pro software or download a free mixer. There are quite a few.

yakityyakblah wrote:
Assimon is right, weirdly enough there is an audience for black metal that sees proper mixing as not hardcore enough or something. Black metal has a lot of stupid surrounding it.
I used to be one of those people and I assure you that bad mixing is still bad mixing.
For example:


These I would consider to be mixed well. All of the elements are mixed in such a way as to create a cohesive whole. Elements are brought to the forefront according to their importance in the song.
However I don't think anyone would ever argue that they were over produced. You can still achieve the shitty raw quality that they want while having a proper mix.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AssimanDHI



Posts : 39
Join date : 2011-03-07
Age : 25
Location : Poland

PostSubject: Re: My band's cd is finished, check it out?   Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:42 pm

Well, that's true. Not bad music either, except for some silly guitar parts
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Loxx O)))

avatar

Posts : 102
Join date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: My band's cd is finished, check it out?   Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:07 am

I know how to mix. I went to school for audio engineering. I don't see how you say the levels are off... I intended for the levels to be the way they are. I didn't do any actual mixing to it because I liked the quality I was getting. Honestly, a lot of the black metal/doom fans I know said they really liked the quality of the guitars. As for the drums, they're programmed. I mixed real drum samples with computer generated ones, so yeah, they sound kind of bad and fake. Because they are.

As for some other things talked about... I didn't use low production just to stay true to black metal or intentionally make it bad like some bands do. This didn't even start out as black metal, it just kind of went there at times. I simply liked the sound I got. And honestly, I wouldn't want a crisp and clean sound anyway because I'm not a fan of it. Some people like these really clean black metal and doom bands with very good recording quality and I just don't. It sounds wrong to me. The music itself lends itself to rawness and being gritty, and I think it sounds better when it is. I used free software to record this and a $40 mic. Yeah, it was recorded roughly and sounding bad from the beginning. The quality of my stuff is actually better than some of the bands that I enjoy and that inspire me to play.

What exactly is the problem you have with the levels? The guitars are kind of low. They're buried to hide some of the bad quality of the recording. Purely intentional. Vocals are a bit louder than I wanted, but when I started going lower the vocals were actually indecipherable even to me. The drums, eh... they are what they are. The ambient stuff is amazing high quality because I was just using a synth to do it and it's obviously going to sound good. Let's see... ah, the ambient guitar parts. Those were purposefully rough. I just liked the atmosphere they had during those parts.

Disagree with my thoughts on it if you like... just addressing some things I saw. I haven't been around in a while and figured I may as well put my reasons behind it.

Edit: Here are some other things I've been involved with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUEnBPlE3BU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpKImDO2rjE

I guess if you think the same about those two as well, then you just think I'm terrible at what I'm doing. That's fine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile


avatar

Posts : 62
Join date : 2011-02-25

PostSubject: Re: My band's cd is finished, check it out?   Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:09 pm

Loxx O))) wrote:
I know how to mix. I went to school for audio engineering. I don't see how you say the levels are off... I intended for the levels to be the way they are. I didn't do any actual mixing to it because I liked the quality I was getting. Honestly, a lot of the black metal/doom fans I know said they really liked the quality of the guitars. As for the drums, they're programmed. I mixed real drum samples with computer generated ones, so yeah, they sound kind of bad and fake. Because they are.
I figured that was the problem.
Always mix your stuff. The instruments are reading as too independent from one another. When everything is distinct in the mix it is distracting because you don't know what to focus on. Fiddle with the eqs on each track until they achieve a sound that works with the whole song not just by itself. The instruments all sound fine on their own but together they sound like a mess. The drums are obviously the biggest problem here. They sound too natural compared to everything else in the songs and they stand out too much.

Also the lyrics are already indecipherable but that is fine. Don't worry about that, it comes with the territory. Think about the song as a whole. If you have to sacrifice elements to achieve a coherent sound then you should
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Angie Matera

avatar

Posts : 564
Join date : 2011-01-23
Age : 28
Location : Puerto rico

PostSubject: Re: My band's cd is finished, check it out?   Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:22 pm

I like it Very Happy pretty cool doom/black metal
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/angelina.matera
Angie Matera

avatar

Posts : 564
Join date : 2011-01-23
Age : 28
Location : Puerto rico

PostSubject: Re: My band's cd is finished, check it out?   Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:25 pm

Loxx O))) wrote:
I know how to mix. I went to school for audio engineering. I don't see how you say the levels are off... I intended for the levels to be the way they are. I didn't do any actual mixing to it because I liked the quality I was getting. Honestly, a lot of the black metal/doom fans I know said they really liked the quality of the guitars. As for the drums, they're programmed. I mixed real drum samples with computer generated ones, so yeah, they sound kind of bad and fake. Because they are.

As for some other things talked about... I didn't use low production just to stay true to black metal or intentionally make it bad like some bands do. This didn't even start out as black metal, it just kind of went there at times. I simply liked the sound I got. And honestly, I wouldn't want a crisp and clean sound anyway because I'm not a fan of it. Some people like these really clean black metal and doom bands with very good recording quality and I just don't. It sounds wrong to me. The music itself lends itself to rawness and being gritty, and I think it sounds better when it is. I used free software to record this and a $40 mic. Yeah, it was recorded roughly and sounding bad from the beginning. The quality of my stuff is actually better than some of the bands that I enjoy and that inspire me to play.

What exactly is the problem you have with the levels? The guitars are kind of low. They're buried to hide some of the bad quality of the recording. Purely intentional. Vocals are a bit louder than I wanted, but when I started going lower the vocals were actually indecipherable even to me. The drums, eh... they are what they are. The ambient stuff is amazing high quality because I was just using a synth to do it and it's obviously going to sound good. Let's see... ah, the ambient guitar parts. Those were purposefully rough. I just liked the atmosphere they had during those parts.

Disagree with my thoughts on it if you like... just addressing some things I saw. I haven't been around in a while and figured I may as well put my reasons behind it.

Edit: Here are some other things I've been involved with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUEnBPlE3BU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpKImDO2rjE

I guess if you think the same about those two as well, then you just think I'm terrible at what I'm doing. That's fine.
Who do you consider to be clean sounding black metal? Bullshit like Cradle of shit and new Staryicon
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/angelina.matera
Loxx O)))

avatar

Posts : 102
Join date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: My band's cd is finished, check it out?   Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:16 am

Not really even that. I haven't heard a Satyricon album in a long time. Razz But even stuff like Northern Ontario Black Metal Preservation Society. People I know were really into that and I hear it and I'm just like 'eh'. I'm not even big on the favorites like Emperor and Dissection (although I think "Where Dead Angels Lie" is one of the best black metal songs ever written).

I'm more into atmospheric black metal and blackgaze. Sleeping Peonies, Clair Cassis, Heretoir, Deafheaven, Hypomanie ahh... Love that kind of stuff. I will say that the black metal stuff in Lance of Longinus was more inspired by Darkthrone and Burzum, though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile


avatar

Posts : 62
Join date : 2011-02-25

PostSubject: Re: My band's cd is finished, check it out?   Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:56 am

Loxx O))) wrote:
blackgaze


as for cleanly produced black metal





you can do cleaner black metal without sounding like COF
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Loxx O)))

avatar

Posts : 102
Join date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: My band's cd is finished, check it out?   Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:24 am

I wouldn't say Silencer and Weakling are really clean black metal.

And yes, seriously. A mixture of shoegaze and black metal... like most of the bands I said.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: My band's cd is finished, check it out?   

Back to top Go down
 
My band's cd is finished, check it out?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Price Band on HVA?
» hva price band.it means we can collect lower price.plz tell price band is wt
» Why price band , credit restrictions when it is low ?
» CFIN price band
» President assures price band would be removed, say brokers

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Cinema Snob :: Other Stuff :: Odyssey 2000-
Jump to: