HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Days Of The Arcade

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Son Of Jack Deth

PostSubject: Days Of The Arcade   Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:29 am

I am old enough to remember the days of "Pac-Man Fever". Man I used to love the arcade and find myself missing those days. Anyone here still go to the arcade to play the old upright games? And if so, which are your favorites?

Just for fun, here are some of those old songs from the Pac_man Fever album. Man we had it bad. Smile

Pac-Man Fever

Frogger

Mouse Trap

Back to top Go down
View user profile
yakityyakblah

PostSubject: Re: Days Of The Arcade   Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:12 am

Just a heads up, the Pac Man Fever album is coming to Rockband.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Days Of The Arcade   Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:18 am

For me, just to see an arcade, regardless of size or quality, is a pretty big deal. There used to be a pretty decent number of them, but most of them have closed-down, down-sized, or been destroyed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
UnknownKadath

Location : I live in my namesake, of course!.. Okay, in real life - Japan.

PostSubject: Re: Days Of The Arcade   Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:46 am

Deja Vu, didn't I just mention Metal Slug in another thread?

Regardless, I am and always have been a Metal Slug devotee. I love those games to bits. I was sad to see my local arcade to die, but before he parted the owner gave me a NeoGeoMVS with Metal Slug 1/x/3 loaded up and that was awesome.

There's a local arcade that is still fairly well and alive, it's a Nickelcade I think. Been awhile since I've gone there though...

Hoping I can solve my troubles here in Utah soon and get back to Japan, arcades are still alive there; at least in the cities. Osaka isn't too far from where our home back there is. It's actually kinda cool how arcades still matter back there, even if they've said fuck all to originality.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Days Of The Arcade   Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:01 am

UnknownKadath wrote:
Hoping I can solve my troubles here in Utah soon and get back to Japan, arcades are still alive there; at least in the cities. Osaka isn't too far from where our home back there is. It's actually kinda cool how arcades still matter back there, even if they've said fuck all to originality.
I've seen some of the arcades they have in Shibuya. It's pretty damn crazy. Apparently there, you're arcade is considered lackluster if it's only six stories tall.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Son Of Jack Deth

PostSubject: Re: Days Of The Arcade   Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:11 am

The Dude wrote:
UnknownKadath wrote:
I've seen some of the arcades they have in Shibuya. It's pretty damn crazy. Apparently there, you're arcade is considered lackluster if it's only six stories tall.

After seeing how cool Japan's arcades looked in the Jean Reno film Wasabi I have wanted to go to one so bad.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Son Of Jack Deth

PostSubject: Re: Days Of The Arcade   Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:14 am

Thought I would post some video of some of my favorite classic arcade games.

Robotron

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: Days Of The Arcade   Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:46 am

Haha, Robotron was a sweet ass game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Days Of The Arcade   Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:19 am

One thing I love about the Wii: the slew of arcade-style-sorta-light-gun-rail shooters.

Light gun rail shooters have always been a favorite of mine in the arcade, so it's good to see the Wii showing some love, what with most of the arcades going belly-up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
UnknownKadath

PostSubject: Re: Days Of The Arcade   Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:20 pm

The Dude wrote:

One thing I love about the Wii: the slew of arcade-style-sorta-light-gun-rail shooters.

Light gun rail shooters have always been a favorite of mine in the arcade, so it's good to see the Wii showing some love, what with most of the arcades going belly-up.

I've never been to the Shibuya district actually, then again I don't like Tokyo. I'm not fond of big, crowded cities and you don't have to go to Tokyo to know its one damn big crowded city.

Yeah, I enjoyed rail shooters a lot too. I got the House of the Dead games on Wii, those are fun and 2 & 3 are kind of nostalgic. Dead Space Extraction was fun as well, if a bit of an odd choice to take the series.

Speaking of House of the Dead, Typing of the Dead 1 & 2 are awesome. You actually did see them in arcades in Japan, that's another sight you won't see in an American arcade - a machine with a Keyboard option or a lightgun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eckertmania

PostSubject: Re: Days Of The Arcade   Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:44 pm

I hate to be the harbinger of bad news in a topic whose subject is near and dear to my heart, but two of the best known arcades (at least as far as the fighting game community) are closing down. Arcade Infinity in Cali and Chinatown Fair in NYC are closing down and it feels like a piece of video game history is going with it.

http://shoryuken.com/content/america-s-top-arcades-closing-down-say-goodbye-chinatown-fair-arcade-infinity-3678/

I'm really saddened by this, you know? I grew up in the arcades around here. I was 7 years old when I first played SF2, and one of the local guys took me under his wing and taught me how to play. I mean, there was a reason why I used only Ken in every SF game for almost 20 years.

When the arcades closed around my area in the mid 90s, I was too young to really appreciate what had closed and how much I was going to miss it later in life. The band Cinderella was right; "You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone."
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://asliceomind.wordpress.com/
UnknownKadath

PostSubject: Re: Days Of The Arcade   Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:30 am

Eckertmania wrote:
I hate to be the harbinger of bad news in a topic whose subject is near and dear to my heart, but two of the best known arcades (at least as far as the fighting game community) are closing down. Arcade Infinity in Cali and Chinatown Fair in NYC are closing down and it feels like a piece of video game history is going with it.

http://shoryuken.com/content/america-s-top-arcades-closing-down-say-goodbye-chinatown-fair-arcade-infinity-3678/

I'm really saddened by this, you know? I grew up in the arcades around here. I was 7 years old when I first played SF2, and one of the local guys took me under his wing and taught me how to play. I mean, there was a reason why I used only Ken in every SF game for almost 20 years.

When the arcades closed around my area in the mid 90s, I was too young to really appreciate what had closed and how much I was going to miss it later in life. The band Cinderella was right; "You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone."

This is probably the nerdiest thing I have ever said in my life, but this is probably due to the ready availability of arcade joysticks and online play for fighting games on consoles and computers. My wife & I like to play fighting games, and we noticed around the releases of the most recent Street Fighter and Tekken games that one of our local arcades got rid of most of their fighting games because no one was playing them. We then realized that with perfect arcade gameplay being achieved for the most part and the fact you can still play locally and with strangers online (Though i don't see why that'd be a draw, then again I hate online play with random weirdos so I'm already an outcast in modern gaming.) that there's no reason for your lazy arse to get out of the couch and to an arcade.

I'm sure this applies to other arcade games to a degree as well, and there's no denying that home technology catching up and exceeding arcade technology definitely didn't help them at least here in the states. I may not have been around in the 80s, but even early on in the 90s I recognized the fact that arcade games were 10,000x more powerful than dinky little consoles, and as fun as having Street Fighter II in your home was the lack of a joystick amongst other things meant it was still worth it to hightail it over to the arcade once in awhile. Then the tables turned, computers and consoles were the superpowered ones, consumed more lives, and input devices that could let you use arcade style controls for arcade games became cheaper and more common meaning less reason to go. Plus you didn't have to use up your quarters.

Speaking of quarter munchers, I actually enjoyed Gauntlet Legends. I know a lot of people didn't care for it, especially not the home port "Dark Legacy" (Yeah I know about the one titled Legends, but it was downgraded if my memory serves me correctly and Dark Legacy was the more proper port) but I thought it was mindless fun. Damn insidious though that quarters gave you back life that was always ticking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Days Of The Arcade   Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:00 am

UnknownKadath wrote:
The Dude wrote:

I've never been to the Shibuya district actually, then again I don't like Tokyo. I'm not fond of big, crowded cities and you don't have to go to Tokyo to know its one damn big crowded city.

Yeah, I enjoyed rail shooters a lot too. I got the House of the Dead games on Wii, those are fun and 2 & 3 are kind of nostalgic. Dead Space Extraction was fun as well, if a bit of an odd choice to take the series.

Speaking of House of the Dead, Typing of the Dead 1 & 2 are awesome. You actually did see them in arcades in Japan, that's another sight you won't see in an American arcade - a machine with a Keyboard option or a lightgun.
A trip to Tokyo is definitely on my bucket list, due in large part to it being one of the last hold-outs in the arcade circuit.

Also, I never knew Typing was released in the arcades. Which I guess proves your remark about not seeing that kind of thing in America true.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mondo a Go-Go

PostSubject: Re: Days Of The Arcade   Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:42 am

An arcade near me still has a Super Mario World pinball table. I love it. Another arcade in a little amusement park switched buildings, so there's the great, derelict arcade with a bunch of old machines thrown around. I hope to sneak in and film sometime soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Days Of The Arcade   Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:01 am

Mondo a Go-Go wrote:
An arcade near me still has a Super Mario World pinball table. I love it. Another arcade in a little amusement park switched buildings, so there's the great, derelict arcade with a bunch of old machines thrown around. I hope to sneak in and film sometime soon.
It just sits there abandoned?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mondo a Go-Go

PostSubject: Re: Days Of The Arcade   Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:16 pm

The Dude wrote:
Mondo a Go-Go wrote:
Yeah. It's a weird set up: the place is built on a hill and a little valley. The old acrade, the abandoned one, is at the top of the hill, where everything used to be. When they made it primarily a minigolf course (at the botttom of the hill), the arcade was put in a building down there. Weirdly, though, it looks like they got entirely new cabinets and just ran around the old arcade with a sledgehammer. Since I *think* you have to go through part of the old arcade building to get to the putting green, the door's unlocked, but there's never anyone in there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Days Of The Arcade   Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:31 am

Mondo a Go-Go wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Mondo a Go-Go wrote:
Yeah. It's a weird set up: the place is built on a hill and a little valley. The old acrade, the abandoned one, is at the top of the hill, where everything used to be. When they made it primarily a minigolf course (at the botttom of the hill), the arcade was put in a building down there. Weirdly, though, it looks like they got entirely new cabinets and just ran around the old arcade with a sledgehammer. Since I *think* you have to go through part of the old arcade building to get to the putting green, the door's unlocked, but there's never anyone in there.
Very strange...I wonder if the cabinets even still work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
polygonalchemist

PostSubject: Re: Days Of The Arcade   Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:27 am

UnknownKadath wrote:
I'm sure this applies to other arcade games to a degree as well, and there's no denying that home technology catching up and exceeding arcade technology definitely didn't help them at least here in the states. I may not have been around in the 80s, but even early on in the 90s I recognized the fact that arcade games were 10,000x more powerful than dinky little consoles, and as fun as having Street Fighter II in your home was the lack of a joystick amongst other things meant it was still worth it to hightail it over to the arcade once in awhile. Then the tables turned, computers and consoles were the superpowered ones, consumed more lives, and input devices that could let you use arcade style controls for arcade games became cheaper and more common meaning less reason to go. Plus you didn't have to use up your quarters.

Yea, I think that was a big part of the decline of arcades. I know when I was a kid I would often enjoy playing the arcade version of games I owned on my NES at home, like Contra, TMNT or Double Dragon, just because they looked cooler on the arcade machine.

When consoles began to catch up, that's when arcade game makers started relying on other gimmicks to stand out. The Dance Dance Revolution fad was a big factor that kept Arcades alive in the early 2000's. Sure, you could buy a home version and pad, but you'd have to spend $150+ for one that rivaled the quality of the arcade one. After that there were a bunch of car racing games like Initial D which used little cards to store your data on them, and they enjoyed a short burst of popularity too.

But now home consoles have all the motion control stuff, too. Arcade games arn't even a good way to waste time while you wait for your pizza or your mom shops at the mall anymore, since everyone has games on their celphones now.

Are Arcade games still being made for the most part? Only newer ones I've seen over the last few years were some sports titles and hunting simulators. I hear pinball machines are still being made based on modern movies and such, but I have yet to see any of those anymore.

I think you can still find some retro-themed arcades that are attached to bars (Barcade?). Since most people who are going to be nostalgic about arcade games are likely to be over 21, It makes sense. Back in college several friends and I hung out a local place called Rocky's that was like that. They got eminent domained by the city a while back and had to close but a friend of mine told me they re-opened somewhere else, so I should check it out sometime. Also, you might find one in the student union if you have a large university near by, I know ours had one of those.

The sad thing is, when you do see arcade machines these days, they're often so poorly maintained. I see Neo-Geo machines every so often, but either the controls are always busted or the screen is fading severely.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
UnknownKadath

PostSubject: Re: Days Of The Arcade   Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:18 pm

polygonalchemist wrote:
UnknownKadath wrote:

Yea, I think that was a big part of the decline of arcades. I know when I was a kid I would often enjoy playing the arcade version of games I owned on my NES at home, like Contra, TMNT or Double Dragon, just because they looked cooler on the arcade machine.

When consoles began to catch up, that's when arcade game makers started relying on other gimmicks to stand out. The Dance Dance Revolution fad was a big factor that kept Arcades alive in the early 2000's. Sure, you could buy a home version and pad, but you'd have to spend $150+ for one that rivaled the quality of the arcade one. After that there were a bunch of car racing games like Initial D which used little cards to store your data on them, and they enjoyed a short burst of popularity too.

But now home consoles have all the motion control stuff, too. Arcade games arn't even a good way to waste time while you wait for your pizza or your mom shops at the mall anymore, since everyone has games on their celphones now.

Are Arcade games still being made for the most part? Only newer ones I've seen over the last few years were some sports titles and hunting simulators. I hear pinball machines are still being made based on modern movies and such, but I have yet to see any of those anymore.

I think you can still find some retro-themed arcades that are attached to bars (Barcade?). Since most people who are going to be nostalgic about arcade games are likely to be over 21, It makes sense. Back in college several friends and I hung out a local place called Rocky's that was like that. They got eminent domained by the city a while back and had to close but a friend of mine told me they re-opened somewhere else, so I should check it out sometime. Also, you might find one in the student union if you have a large university near by, I know ours had one of those.

The sad thing is, when you do see arcade machines these days, they're often so poorly maintained. I see Neo-Geo machines every so often, but either the controls are always busted or the screen is fading severely.

Seeing a run down Neo-Geo would make me sad. Probably just because I have unending love for Metal Slug, though Samurai Showdown was a Neo-Geo game too wasn't it? I still have the Neo-Geo MVS with Metal Slug 1/X/3 loaded that I was given after my old arcade broke down, and dammit it is gunna stay in good shape. I'm thinking of maybe finding some carts to swap though, make use of the MVS capabilities.

I actually checked out the Nickelcade last night for the first time in years, thankfully it's still alive, in good condition, serves surprisingly good Pizza, and has a big variety. So at least I know that there's a good arcade here in Utah still.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eckertmania

PostSubject: Re: Days Of The Arcade   Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:01 pm

polygonalchemist wrote:

Actually, as far as new arcade games go, there are several games that have come out recently...in Japan. Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition, King of Fighters 13, Arcana Hearts 3, and a lot of others have enjoyed some success in Japanese arcades. And there are a few American arcades that have those games as well, but finding an American arcade in this day and age is very hard. I know Arcade UFO in Houston has an SSF4:AE cab (they run a stream every now and then), but I doubt I'll ever get down there to play on it. The closest place to me that has an AE cab is some place in Chicago, but that's still about an 8 hour drive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://asliceomind.wordpress.com/
Thecigarsnob

PostSubject: Re: Days Of The Arcade   Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:48 pm

Just the other day i was walking through the mall and happened to stop at the Alladin's Castle arcade i one proudly worked for back in the late 90's.

the very last time i had ever wasted $10 or more in an arcade was when the game , inital D, came out and became a huge thing around town. there was always a once-a-month tournament/lock in's at the arcade and sometimes it meant waiting in line for 2 hours just play the game 9usually if your a newbie it was always against some douchebag on level 20 higher always running his mouth with a gothic chick in his lap.)

well, just the other day i was at the mall and stopped by to see the arcade full of broken down machines, no working A/C and 2 guys on a brand new tekken machine. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jasonknightonline.com
Son Of Jack Deth

PostSubject: Re: Days Of The Arcade   Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:20 pm

Thecigarsnob wrote:
Just the other day i was walking through the mall and happened to stop at the Alladin's Castle arcade i one proudly worked for back in the late 90's.

the very last time i had ever wasted $10 or more in an arcade was when the game , inital D, came out and became a huge thing around town. there was always a once-a-month tournament/lock in's at the arcade and sometimes it meant waiting in line for 2 hours just play the game 9usually if your a newbie it was always against some douchebag on level 20 higher always running his mouth with a gothic chick in his lap.)

well, just the other day i was at the mall and stopped by to see the arcade full of broken down machines, no working A/C and 2 guys on a brand new tekken machine. Shocked

Oh man, that is harsh. My old video game haunts are long gone so I didn't have to watch them decline. I guess that's a good thing.

The last game I wasted money on was Dragon's Lair. I had that game down to a science. It even won me some money once.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thecigarsnob

PostSubject: Re: Days Of The Arcade   Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:50 pm

Harsh?
except for the teeken machine, the only other working machines were redemption machines.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jasonknightonline.com
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Days Of The Arcade   Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:23 pm

I was in Orlando for the last couple of days and found a pretty sweet little arcade in a mall somewhere. It had the original Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat 3, Street Fighter 3, TMNT: Turtles in Time, the six-player X-Men arcade game, all that good stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: Days Of The Arcade   Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:48 pm

The Dude wrote:
I was in Orlando for the last couple of days and found a pretty sweet little arcade in a mall somewhere. It had the original Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat 3, Street Fighter 3, TMNT: Turtles in Time, the six-player X-Men arcade game, all that good stuff.

Was the place packed or no?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Days Of The Arcade   

Back to top Go down

Days Of The Arcade
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next