Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Great video games with unsatisfying endings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Great video games with unsatisfying endings   Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:38 am

Just like the title says, what were some great video games you played which, unfortunately at the end, had rather unsatisfying endings?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: Great video games with unsatisfying endings   Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:45 am

Let me be the first to have the obligatory Fallout 3 post.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
relauby

PostSubject: Re: Great video games with unsatisfying endings   Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:43 am

Call of Duty Black Ops. It's not that the ending was unsatisfying, but it just really bugged me. I didn't see why a Call of Duty game needed a plot twist, yet alone a twist that *SPOILER* everyone's going to immediately associate with Fight Club.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Great video games with unsatisfying endings   Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:32 am

Tommy Wiseau wrote:
Are you referring to the lack of free-play?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: Great video games with unsatisfying endings   Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:40 am

The Dude wrote:
Tommy Wiseau wrote:
Are you referring to the lack of free-play?

Not really, just the fact that following a giant robot isn't what makes a thrilling finale.
Not a fan of the 2-minutes "cutscenes" either.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
yakityyakblah

PostSubject: Re: Great video games with unsatisfying endings   Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:51 am

Fallout 3's ending wasn't just unsatisfying it made no sense. I'm morally wrong for picking the only option where nobody dies?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Great video games with unsatisfying endings   Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:30 am

Tommy Wiseau wrote:

I take it you're not a Metal Gear man, then.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: Great video games with unsatisfying endings   Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:36 am

The Dude wrote:
Tommy Wiseau wrote:

I've never played the original game... but if you're referring to the series, I love the huge cutscenes. I was complaining that the Fallout 3 ending cutscene was too short for such an epic game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
yakityyakblah

PostSubject: Re: Great video games with unsatisfying endings   Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:47 am

By original game do you mean MGS1 or Metal Gear?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Great video games with unsatisfying endings   Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:14 am

Tommy Wiseau wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Tommy Wiseau wrote:

I've never played the original game... but if you're referring to the series, I love the huge cutscenes. I was complaining that the Fallout 3 ending cutscene was too short for such an epic game.
Oh, I see. I got the opposite impression.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A Cockatrice

PostSubject: Re: Great video games with unsatisfying endings   Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:20 am

Tommy Wiseau wrote:

The problem with Fallout 3's original ending is the complete lack of any boss character. If they were going with the robot smashing its way through everything, they could have at least let us feel useful by giving us a intense boss fight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Great video games with unsatisfying endings   Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:26 am

A Cockatrice wrote:
Tommy Wiseau wrote:

The problem with Fallout 3's original ending is the complete lack of any boss character. If they were going with the robot smashing its way through everything, they could have at least let us feel useful by giving us a intense boss fight.
You're mention of no boss-fight reminds me of another good game with a complete anti-climax of an ending: Fable II.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: Great video games with unsatisfying endings   Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:27 am

yakityyakblah wrote:
By original game do you mean MGS1 or Metal Gear?

Metal Gear.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A Cockatrice

PostSubject: Re: Great video games with unsatisfying endings   Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:34 am

The Dude wrote:
You're mention of no boss-fight reminds me of another good game with a complete anti-climax of an ending: Fable II.

Blocked that game from my memory, but glad that you reminded me of that bullshit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Great video games with unsatisfying endings   Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:33 pm

A Cockatrice wrote:
The Dude wrote:

Blocked that game from my memory, but glad that you reminded me of that bullshit.
You're welcome. Honestly though, the game wasn't bad, lack of climax not-with-standing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bassbait

PostSubject: Re: Great video games with unsatisfying endings   Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:58 am

Usually, the ending doesn't bother me. Even Halo 2's ending didn't bother me. But sometimes, an ending simply does. And in this case, it's "Portal".

I LOVE Valve, and Portal was the greatest idea for a game possible, in theory. But seriously? They finally turn it into an action game, and it lasts for about 5 minutes. Then you supposedly "escape" (although Portal 2 smashed my hopes of finally having both the portal gun AND the RPG from Half Life). That ending didn't actually bother me in the sense that I thought it was a bad ending. It bothered me in the sense that I felt gipped by the length of the game. By the time I reached the Companion Cube, I felt like maybe I was at the half way point, but little did I know I was really close to the end. I wanted Portal 2 to be a shooter/puzzle game combined that involved much more real time strategy, and less "sit down and think this through" like the first game. But I'll still play Portal 2 for the game play and 2001 style black humor dialogue, but I'm still crossing my fingers for the first collaboration between Black Mesa and Aperture Science.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cactus_Matt

PostSubject: Re: Great video games with unsatisfying endings   Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:39 pm

Fallout 3 and New Vegas have endings which I think, given how there are so many choices and consequences that it has to have that type of 'slide show + voiceover' ending. That said, I don't think the endings are that great. One of my favourite games Crackdown had a pretty lackluster ending, but I suppose I shouldn't have expected much considering the almost non-existent story.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
polygonalchemist

PostSubject: Re: Great video games with unsatisfying endings   Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:25 pm

New Vegas' ending kinda bugged me a bit more then Fallout 3's since there was so much more I wanted to do. (Spoilerized since the game is still kinda new)

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
GaRRbagio

PostSubject: Re: Great video games with unsatisfying endings   Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:36 am

Borderlands Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ermac

PostSubject: Re: Great video games with unsatisfying endings   Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:14 am

Since everybody is mentioning Fallout 3, I'm going to go ahead an make the obligotory "Oblivion's ending was highly unsatisfying" post. That's it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
IAKO

PostSubject: Re: Great video games with unsatisfying endings   Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:40 am

ermac wrote:
Since everybody is mentioning Fallout 3, I'm going to go ahead an make the obligotory "Oblivion's ending was highly unsatisfying" post. That's it.

But the game itself was highly unsatisfying! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ermac

PostSubject: Re: Great video games with unsatisfying endings   Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:38 am

I Am a Knock Off wrote:
ermac wrote:

Well, true, but atleast the game has some atmoshperic value and some exploration value. And the quests that are not the MQ are actually pretty fun. Especially the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild quests, I enjoyed them quite a lot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A Cockatrice

PostSubject: Re: Great video games with unsatisfying endings   Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:56 am

ermac wrote:
I Am a Knock Off wrote:
ermac wrote:

Well, true, but atleast the game has some atmoshperic value and some exploration value. And the quests that are not the MQ are actually pretty fun. Especially the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild quests, I enjoyed them quite a lot.

Oblivion didn't have exploration value, because that was rendered useless by the fucking world auto-leveling loot and monsters. Not to mention the mass copy and paste caves/Oblivion gates.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Great video games with unsatisfying endings   Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:49 am

A Cockatrice wrote:
ermac wrote:
I Am a Knock Off wrote:
ermac wrote:

Oblivion didn't have exploration value, because that was rendered useless by the fucking world auto-leveling loot and monsters. Not to mention the mass copy and paste caves/Oblivion gates.
The trade-off for real-time combat, apparently.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
IAKO

PostSubject: Re: Great video games with unsatisfying endings   Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:56 am

Oops, I just sparked a Oblivion debate. Personally, my biggest problem with the game is the level scaling, it doesn't make every fight challenging or hard, just so damn infuriating and needlessly long. I'm also not a big fan of all the dumbing downs they did (and they are numerous) or the story as a whole and I don't think that the new stuff (revamped combat system, for example) make up for it, but it's not a particularly bad game either, just a disappointing one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Great video games with unsatisfying endings   

Back to top Go down

Great video games with unsatisfying endings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next