The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Thoughts on 3D Movies!

Go down 
+21
oneyedjohn
Entertainer13
Mondo a Go-Go
TheCinemaCynic
A Cockatrice
danethefurry
MagnaRyu
Slait
relauby
Loxx O)))
Tobbii
rathkor
JustinDP
PCDOS
bloodypitofhorror
The Original Greaser Bob
Cactus_Matt
Eckertmania
thegormer
joeybucks
LucasChad
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Slait

Slait

Thoughts on 3D Movies! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on 3D Movies!   Thoughts on 3D Movies! - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 8:53 pm

The Chef is pretty much what the film makers assume their audience is. In their eyes 3D makes everything better, no matter how hit and miss it is.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on 3D Movies!   Thoughts on 3D Movies! - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 9:37 pm

A Cockatrice wrote:
Last time I seen a 3D movie was years ago. They might be better now but I still remember the migraines that they use to bring, haven't had the courage to give them a try again.
I'd say the one respect in which they've definitely improved is in regards to not giving people headaches.
Back to top Go down
Tobbii

Tobbii

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on 3D Movies!   Thoughts on 3D Movies! - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 12:59 am

The Dude wrote:
A Cockatrice wrote:
Last time I seen a 3D movie was years ago. They might be better now but I still remember the migraines that they use to bring, haven't had the courage to give them a try again.
I'd say the one respect in which they've definitely improved is in regards to not giving people headaches.

I'm going to disagree, 3 out of 4 people I've been to 3D films with have had headcaches from it.
Back to top Go down
http://sirtobbii.blogspot.com
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on 3D Movies!   Thoughts on 3D Movies! - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 6:51 am

Tobbii wrote:
The Dude wrote:
A Cockatrice wrote:

I'm going to disagree, 3 out of 4 people I've been to 3D films with have had headcaches from it.
Odd, I don't think I've ever heard someone say they got a headache from them.
Back to top Go down
Cactus_Matt

Cactus_Matt

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on 3D Movies!   Thoughts on 3D Movies! - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 11:23 am

The Dude wrote:
Tobbii wrote:
The Dude wrote:
A Cockatrice wrote:

Odd, I don't think I've ever heard someone say they got a headache from them.

Spoony says he gets headaches from them (well most of them), also my girlfriend does too.
Back to top Go down
TheCinemaCynic

TheCinemaCynic

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on 3D Movies!   Thoughts on 3D Movies! - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 1:09 am

I personally can't stand 3D, unless it's something like Tron Legacy but even then I thought it was a bit unnecessary.
Back to top Go down
Mondo a Go-Go

Mondo a Go-Go

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on 3D Movies!   Thoughts on 3D Movies! - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 2:32 am

3D works in animation; it gives depth of field that just doesn't exist. In live action, though, we perceive space between the foreground and the background; that's the first step of the suspension of disbelief, basically. By drawing attention to that space, it becomes a gimmick, not an addition to the story. Granted, that's good for gimmicky movies, like the 3D booms of the 50s and 80s, but it's just bad in anything else. Plus, I wear glasses, so I have to constantly adjust the 3D glasses to keep the effect from failing and making me watch the whole thing with double vision.
Back to top Go down
Entertainer13

Entertainer13

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on 3D Movies!   Thoughts on 3D Movies! - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 9:05 pm

I hate 3D because around here, I don't even get the freaking 2D option! Oh, I wanted to see that movie, but I'm not paying $4 more to see a bird fly out of a screen or something. I go to theme parks for that. I go to a movie for a story first. And I'm not paying more money because it's shiny!
Back to top Go down
http://www.centurycitygames.com/
oneyedjohn

oneyedjohn

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on 3D Movies!   Thoughts on 3D Movies! - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 3:48 am

The 3D optical illusions don't work for me. I really do have only one eye. So whenever I hear "3D is the next big thing in entertainment" I think "F#%@ YOU."
Back to top Go down
Tommy Wiseau

Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on 3D Movies!   Thoughts on 3D Movies! - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 4:33 am

3D apparently cannot work any better than it does now. There was an interesting post about it on Roger Ebert's blog:
http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2011/01/post_4.html
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on 3D Movies!   Thoughts on 3D Movies! - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 10:08 am

Tommy Wiseau wrote:
3D apparently cannot work any better than it does now. There was an interesting post about it on Roger Ebert's blog:
I may not be an Academy Award winning editor, nor am I hip to all the technical lingo, but to put it bluntly, it still works for me. Even the old-school blue-and-red.
Back to top Go down
Tommy Wiseau

Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on 3D Movies!   Thoughts on 3D Movies! - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 9:29 pm

The Dude wrote:
Tommy Wiseau wrote:
I may not be an Academy Award winning editor, nor am I hip to all the technical lingo, but to put it bluntly, it still works for me. Even the old-school blue-and-red.

The entry's not saying it doesn't work, but the process will never be perfected. To me, that makes sense since 3D always feels a little weird while I'm watching it. I can't really describe it, but it never feels right.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on 3D Movies!   Thoughts on 3D Movies! - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 4:39 am

Tommy Wiseau wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Tommy Wiseau wrote:

The entry's not saying it doesn't work, but the process will never be perfected. To me, that makes sense since 3D always feels a little weird while I'm watching it. I can't really describe it, but it never feels right.
But the title is "Why 3D doesn't work and never will. Case closed." They seem to be sending a pretty clear message.
Back to top Go down
Tommy Wiseau

Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on 3D Movies!   Thoughts on 3D Movies! - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 9:53 am

The Dude wrote:
Tommy Wiseau wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Tommy Wiseau wrote:

But the title is "Why 3D doesn't work and never will. Case closed." They seem to be sending a pretty clear message.

I'd say "But's that's, like, your opinion, man" but I bet you get that a lot.

As for the title, I don't agree that it completely doesn't work, but there's definitely something wrong with the 3D effect. I think it's because of what is outlined in the article.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on 3D Movies!   Thoughts on 3D Movies! - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 8:32 am

Tommy Wiseau wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Tommy Wiseau wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Tommy Wiseau wrote:

I'd say "But's that's, like, your opinion, man" but I bet you get that a lot.

As for the title, I don't agree that it completely doesn't work, but there's definitely something wrong with the 3D effect. I think it's because of what is outlined in the article.
Perhaps it varies from person to person, as I've seen some quite convincing 3-D effects, despite what science has to say.
Back to top Go down
MonkeyMan

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on 3D Movies!   Thoughts on 3D Movies! - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 9:11 am

3D, much like every film making tool, can be good when used well and can be bad when used poorly. This same thing could be said for Post-Conversion 3D.

This is not to say, however, that there's only one method of using 3D. There's a multitude. UP, for example, used it to contrast Carl's slow, dull home life and the wide open world of the jungle. Piranha 3D used it for cheap, fun gags that further solidified the film's tone. Avatar used it to fully immerse the audience in the film's world. All three films had very different goals with their 3D, and all three films succeeded.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on 3D Movies!   Thoughts on 3D Movies! - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 4:08 am

LordSimen wrote:
Piranha 3D used it for cheap, fun gags that further solidified the film's tone.
Speaking of which, there's a new Piranha film on the way, titled Piranha 3DD.
Back to top Go down
Paul Atreides

Paul Atreides

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on 3D Movies!   Thoughts on 3D Movies! - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 8:54 am

When it comes to 3D, I'm not against it in theory.

3D would be fine by me if I didn't get the headaches.

Thats my issue with 3D. I've been told alot that I need to stop bitching like people way back when bitched about sound and then color.

My response is that 3D is the only innovation of film that physically hurts a lot people (sound doesn't count because it CAN hurt, 3D ALWAYS hurts).

I'm interested in the Nintendo 3DS because, if we can actually have 3D without glasses, I don't see any issue with it. Its just the next jump in visual quality, like tape to digital or VHS to DVD; and don't you dare bring up BluRay.

I still cannot see any major difference between DVD and BluRay. Sure, BluRay is better but not THAT much better.

Avatar in 3D, as much as I hated the film and the 3D headache that came along with it, proved to me that 3D is the next jump in visual quality. The problem is that 3D Glasses are giving many people headaches. Now, when you take off the glasses, starring at something thats between clear and blurry for any length of time will cause you discomfort if your lucky or a headache most likely.

So, if someone can make 3D without the headaches and not charge over $10 a ticket, I'll be fine. I don't see much point but I won't bitch about it then.

However, I'll refuse to bring a bottle of advil and enough money to buy a new movie just to see one movie once till the day I die.
Back to top Go down
Vendaval FJ

Vendaval FJ

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on 3D Movies!   Thoughts on 3D Movies! - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 4:00 pm

Cave of Forgotten Dreams is pretty much the only truly worthwhile film seeing in 3D, now all of you go see it in 3D. Short answer why: it's Werner Herzog documenting an absolutely pristine series of caves that contain the earliest drawings known to man. Not once did the 3D give me eye strain and holy shit for once it's actually put to good use so it really does seem like it's in front of you. Along with Herzog's seductively poetic dialogue, the film is also quite funny, so yeah, do see it.
Back to top Go down
http://forgottenjunk.webs.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on 3D Movies!   Thoughts on 3D Movies! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on 3D Movies!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2