Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Jurassic Park: The Lost World - a review

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tetsuryu

PostSubject: Jurassic Park: The Lost World - a review   Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:43 pm

It'd been years since I watched any of the Jurassic Park films - in fact, I probably got the trilogy box set before I even had a proper player, only watching them on my PC, and for some reason I decided to give the trilogy a go. Strange thing is, I had no recollection of having any feelings towards the second film one way or the other, despite owning a comic book adaptation long before I ever had the movie on any format so the story was always reasonably fresh in my memory.

And yet, after watching it again after so many years, I came to realize - I really don't like this movie.

The first movie still holds up to this day, thanks to it's heavy use of practical effects and keeping CGI to a minimum or in scenes where the effects aren't too obvious, barring the Gallimimus scene, but most of all, it had a sense of fun to it - it felt like a theme park ride in itself.

The second movie, however, doesn't really feel fun at all. For one thing, it's a much darker film - not just because so much of it takes place at night, but because of the massive amount of carnage and death. The first movie had what, four confirmed character deaths? Samuel L Jackson's character's death wasn't shown at all, and the others were quick and to the point. TLW in the other hand tends to linger with them without much in the way of subtlety. The one that really sticks to mind the most is the death of Eddie Carr whose death scene is very drawn out and almost feels like it's taunting you with the possibility that this guy might actually make it, only for the movie to go "haha nope" and then have him literally torn to pieces on screen. And even when the campsite is attacked by the T-rex, I guess you're not supposed to feel bad for any of the characters who get slaughtered because what, they're mercenaries? They work for InGen so they're the bad guys by default? The movie does seem to have a significant themes of not only conservationism, which is probably why the InGen party is portrayed as the villains, and also corporate greed which reduces Hammond to a bit part, but outside of maybe two characters most of them just struck me as guys on the job who didn't deserve to die the way they did. Granted, the same could be said for many characters in the first, but like I said, the first movie didn't take an almost sadistic glee in portraying any of their respective fates. The movie plays out more like a horror film than the adventure film that both the first and the third film were (I still haven't seen JW), and actually feels a bit mean-spirited.

Then there are the two absolutely massive plot holes that I have to address. The first is Sarah Harding's bloody jacket from treating the baby Tyrannosaurus' wound. Only realizing this at the campsite in itself I could sort of understand - but what makes it especially jarring is that Trembo - the guy who's supposed to be a career hunter - actually draws attention to it, and then proceeds to do absolutely nothing about it! Sure, his pal Ajay is supposed to be tracker, but you'd think even he'd realize why walking around with a jacket smelling like baby T-rex might be a bad idea. The other is the cargo ship that crashes to the pier; what the hell happened there? The movie doesn't do a very good at establishing the course of events; you got a guy explaining Harding why the T-Rex woke up and went berserk, how does he know all this? Was he aboard the ship? How did he survive, when the T-rex apparently somehow managed to eat even the bridge crew from inside the bridge which, apart from blood stains and dismembered limbs, appears to be undamaged? There's probably more plot holes you could poke through, like how did Kelly hide in the trailer the whole time, but these two were the ones that really stretched my suspension of disbelief to a breaking point.

Another minor gripe about the movie is that the entire hunting scene early on reeks of toy commercial, with the InGen party riding around in a vast variety of increasingly gimmicky vehicles built for the sole purpose of capturing dinosaurs; you can bet all of them were made into a toy at some point.

I guess I should say something positive about the movie, like praising Pete Postlethwaite and Jeff Goldblum's performances and the few good laughs the movie does provide like the little visual gag with the animal control car, but the more I think about the movie, the more I find things to complain about instead.

I gave this movie 6/10 on IMDB and even now I think that might've been a little too high.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://takeshi666.dvdaf.com/
wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic Park: The Lost World - a review   Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:11 am

i have them all on blu-ray and yet i haven't watched this one yet either. i recall years ago i watched some of this film but stopped only cause i really didn't feel like watching it. i thought i was in the mood for it but i was apparently wrong. have you ever read the book it's based on? if i'm not mistake he was talked into writing the novel when the film was going to be made. i in fact have the 1st book on hardback. but i haven't read it in years. i love them both as they are both good books. the only issues i have with the 1st novel is too much dinosaur talk as it can ramble on far too much and it takes forever for things to happen in it. when it does it is a pretty solid book.

in the 2nd novel it's cut back on which i liked things actually happened faster which was nice for a change. though i said i like the 2nd novel and i do
it's not as good as the 1st novel. maybe it's cause it's just Goldblum's character in it i dunno... but have you read Jurassic Park ? in the novel in case you haven't Hammond i believe is his name? is killed at the tail end of the book is is written to be more of a villian later on in the book.

if my memory is right, he's killed by dinosaurs i forget which kind but it's not a T Rex it's maybe the Veloct... i dunno how you spell it. it's actually quite graphic in the novel and that's cut from the 1st film. apparently he's killed in the 2nd film not sure how yet..... by reading your review it sounds like certain shit was cut out of the film for some reason. much like Sam Jackon's death scene in the 1st film that i believe was never filmed he said. odd i think.. he thinks soo to i think he said.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tetsuryu

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic Park: The Lost World - a review   Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:10 am

I haven't read any of the books but I've read plenty about them. Hammond being a villain, getting killed by raptors while making some crazy rant, etc. And the Lost World novel has the company that originally paid Dennis Nedry off - I forget their name - as the villains rather than InGen. Then again, Ian Malcom died in the first book too and he came back anyway in the second.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://takeshi666.dvdaf.com/
wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic Park: The Lost World - a review   Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:29 am

funny i don't remember Ian dying but than it has been years since i last read it. i'm 39 now i don't think i've read the series since i was in my 20s' maybe. fuck maybe i was even in my teens that's how long it has been. if i recall the Novel was written not cause he wanted to do it but that he was talked into doing it since they wanted a sequel. and they wanted M.C. the same dude that wrote the 1st novel to do the 2nd. i dunno if the studio has any say in what he wrote... but he wrote it pretty much cause they wanted a sequel and no doubt he was paid well for it too cause the film and the book i believe came out the same fucking year.

but honestly i haven't read all his books but my favorite of his is Disclosure. when that book came out in the 90's. the film came out in (1994) when the book came out i was talking to someone a friend a good friend of mine who said i would not like it at all that it wasn't my type of book.
well this was like i said before the film came out, and i took that as a challenge actually. because the topic got me interested cause we've all heard how men can abuse their power at work and the victim in most cases is a woman. it's sad that happens but it's true but when that book came out to my best of knowledge it was the 1st book that i'm aware of where the victim is a guy. i would not be surprised at all if more have come since than and i know in the real world it does happen but sadly it doesn't get reported in most cases cause the guy is embarrassed.

but that book caught my interest because of that and i read it hardcover as it was still new at the time and i fucking loved it man. i've since read it like 5 times at least. i saw the movie when it 1st came out and fucking loved it man. off the top of my head i can't remember how much was cut out or not but until i read the book again and see the film. it's pretty damn faithful. if you have not read the book or seen the movie i suggest you do man. bear warning that in the film there's a scene where Michael Douglass is using VR. it looks better than Lawnmower man but it's prolly dated now as it's 23 years old now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic Park: The Lost World - a review   

Back to top Go down

Jurassic Park: The Lost World - a review
Page 1 of 1