Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

"Ash vs. Evil Dead" Trailer

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Otaku4Life

PostSubject: "Ash vs. Evil Dead" Trailer   Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:17 am

Here's the trailer for the upcoming STARZ original series "Ash vs. Evil Dead" featuring the legend himself, Bruce Campbell.
GROOVY!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Skibz

PostSubject: Re: "Ash vs. Evil Dead" Trailer   Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:56 pm

Honestly, I'm really disappointed with the direction they chose to take with this. 'Evil Dead' was a grisly, intense horror film, 'Evil Dead 2' was surrealistic horror with elements of slapstick lunacy, 'Army of Darkness' was a high-concept fantasy-comedy, and this...is pretty much a broad sitcom farce. I'm sure that was exactly the intent (it IS being promoted as a "horror sitcom"), but it almost feels like a rehash of 'My Name is Bruce' and that's kind of a let-down for me.

I mean, of course I'll still watch it and I'll definitely enjoy it on its own merits (I did love 'My Name is Bruce'), but I'd have rather seen the series go back to its darker thematic roots than going pure camp. I love 'Evil Dead' - heck, I'm sitting not too far from a framed autographed 8x10 of Bruce as Ash - but if I had to choose only one, I think I would have liked to see a sequel to the remake first.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/theskibz
wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: "Ash vs. Evil Dead" Trailer   Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:56 am

oh i didn't expect it to be just like the original film. i was hoping like you, but let's be honest it no doubt would have been extremely difficult to get back to being that good. as much as i love the sequels and i do. they weren't as good as the original film. and my guess is since Evil Dead 2 had humor in it like the show looks like it's going to. that's what they wanted, and to a certain degree even the original film had humor in it as well.

i didn't know what to expect to be honest. Trailers don't always make something look good, in short i'll give it the benefit of the doubt and watch it, or rather download it since we don't have the channel currently. i think it looks good/promising but than it could be a piece of shit. either way i still hope he does a 3rd film soon. and it's great to see him back in action and it looks like he's lost some weight after he had to put it on for Burn Notice.

so that's a plus too. it's hard to believe how old he is now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Skibz

PostSubject: Re: "Ash vs. Evil Dead" Trailer   Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:44 am

Of course I knew the series would be tongue-in-cheek (how could it not be?), I just didn't expect it to go into full-on farce. There's a big difference between the comic book campiness of 'Army of Darkness' and the self-aware parody of 'My Name is Bruce', and it seems this series is firmly within the latter. 'Army of Darkness' was goofy, but it was still a fantasy/adventure/horror movie at its core...'Ash vs. Evil Dead' is a comedy with some gore thrown in. I'm not against that at all (of course not, I'm a Troma fan), I had just hoped that after how gritty and straightforward (and good) the remake was, this would retain at least a few elements of actual horror.
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: "Ash vs. Evil Dead" Trailer   Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:13 am

i have l yet to see the remake. honestly them doing it this way doesn't really bother me since evil Dead 2 is partly a comedy as well well to a certain small degree. and i've never read the comic books to be fair but army of darkness the film to me feels like a comedy and not a horror film at all. yes it's got elements small elements of a horror film. but it's a film that's a comedy mostly with great one liners. that's how i viewed it when 1st saw it back in oh i'd say (1994) or whenever the hell it came on video back in the early 90's.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Skibz

PostSubject: Re: "Ash vs. Evil Dead" Trailer   Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:23 pm

Well, as I clearly said in previous posts, both 'Evil Dead 2' and 'Army of Darkness' have undeniably strong comedic elements, but neither of them were outright farce like 'Ash vs. Evil Dead' is. 'ED2' and 'AoD' were both tongue-in-cheek subversions of and earnest entries into the the horror and fantasy-adventure genres, but 'Ash' has more in common with the hokey self-parody of 'My Name is Bruce' than the dark wit of its predecessors.

Most horror-comedy, in TV and film, tends to fall entirely into "comedy", but I would have liked to see 'AvED' follow in something like, early 'X-Files' or 'Kingdom Hospital' where the tone and atmosphere is entirely horror but juxtaposed with an oddball comic sensibility. I've just always thought horror-comedy is stronger when the horror is played up more than the comedy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Ash vs. Evil Dead" Trailer   

Back to top Go down

"Ash vs. Evil Dead" Trailer
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1