Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Bands that do/don't write their own material

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
AstaKask

PostSubject: Bands that do/don't write their own material   Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:47 pm

Does it matter to you whether a band performs mainly "their own material" or whether other people write songs for them? Why?

I can't say it really bothers me - a good song well performed is enjoyable to listen to, regardless of whether it was written by one of the artists or not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Skibz

PostSubject: Re: Bands that do/don't write their own material   Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:52 am

"Bands that write their own material" didn't even start being a regular thing until the 1960s. You can always find fault in someone complaining about how whatever current pop star doesn't write their own songs when Frank Sinatra wrote even less of his own. Nowadays that just seems largely limited to manufactured Top 40 pop...I can't think of any rock bands that have teams of songwriters behind them.

As far as cover bands are concerned, I think you either need to be a precise visual and aural recreation (e.g. The Musical Box, a touring early Genesis tribute who are scarily accurate in every conceivable way) or an outlandish comedic novelty (e.g. Mac Sabbath, a theatrical So Cal Sabbath tribute who dress as McDonald's characters and rework the lyrics to be about fast food) in order to work. Otherwise, I just don't see the point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/theskibz

Bands that do/don't write their own material
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1