Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Your special Cinema Experiences

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tabascofanatikerin

PostSubject: Your special Cinema Experiences   Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:56 pm

I'm sure all of you have been to the cinema at least a few times in your life.

Do you remember special moments there like awkward/funny/ridiculous/violent/annoying as hell moments? You can tell some stories here if you want.

I start with a quite harmless moment I spontaeously recall and it was the movie evening with an almost empty room: Only my sister and I went to see "Fantasia 2000" back then in our cinema. That way we finally could act like the MST3K cast Very Happy

I also remember a disappointing moment when in summer of 2000 I went to the next big city (Munich) because my local cinema wouldn't screen "Chicken Run", a movie I desperately wanted to see.
So I found a cinema in Munich, saw the movie but was chased away with the rest of the audience by some cinema staff (maybe they just wanted to have the room empty and cleaned again in time) so I wasn't able to watch the credits (including at least one additional scene). What assholes!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tabascofanatikerin.deviantart.com
ChaosTheory

PostSubject: Re: Your special Cinema Experiences   Thu May 01, 2014 2:40 am

Two experiences for Most Annoying -
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN: some dudebro two seats over scoffing at what an "idiot" Josh Brolin's character was every time he appeared on screen.
I AM LEGEND: A guy was explaining (and at times just literally describing) what just happened to his date for the entire movie.

Kind of awkward -
The area where I live is predominantly white and Sioux; but apparently every black person in town went to see DJANGO UNCHAINED the same day as my palefaced self. It was awkward sitting there with all those n-words flying from the screen (and just how racially charged that movie was in general). The audience was laughing and having a blast though; it taught me a little lesson about presumption.

I've mentioned this before, but when I went to see MOONRISE KINGDOM I was totally alone. And it was awesome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://anxietycloset.storenvy.com
jaltesorensen

PostSubject: Re: Your special Cinema Experiences   Thu May 01, 2014 3:18 am

When me an brother went to see Sam Raimi's spiderman 2 we sat next to some guy would would just not shut the fuck up. All he did was to comment all stuff that happended in the movie. And everytime something funny happended he had to laugh as hard that everybody in the theatre heard it, and then comment on it afterwards. And the movie-theatre was packed, so we could not move to anywhere else. That sucked.

Edit: also all the times people have to check their phones during the film IS FUCKING ANNOYING.
Some people turn their phone off. Others set their lighting in the phone to so low that you dont notice it. Others check their phone under a jacket. I love these people. But some people are such jerks that they have to check it in a certain angle that nobody behind them cannot notice the light. I really hate that. I am tempted to throw candy at them everytime.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Skibz

PostSubject: Re: Your special Cinema Experiences   Thu May 01, 2014 12:10 pm

Well, I think I might have you all beat, with the first time I ever saw 'Forbidden Zone' at a screening in Venice (California) around 2006 or 2007.

When I arrived at the "theater", I found that it was accessible only through an unmarked door in a literal back alleyway which led into a small room that couldn't have held more than 30 people: it was completely blank except for a bunch of mis-matched folding chairs set up in crude aisles. Since I arrived early, I had to wander around Venice beach for a while, looking at worthless trinket stores and being constantly hassled by hobos and people trying to sell me things - one young man even slapped a pair of dirty headphones playing bad rap on my head in an attempt to sell me one of his CDs (because scrawny white kids in Oingo Boingo t-shirts are the perfect demographic for lo-fi indie rap, apparently).

By the time the show began, the place was filled up with about half twentysomething film school-types and half weirdos in costumes (costumes which weren't from the movie, might I add). As the screening was free and the room was a comfortable temperature, a homeless man with a bag of cans sat in front of me the whole time. The movie began not with trailers, but rather with a musical opener, a fortysomething woman with rumpled denim clothing and a missing tooth who sung blues songs on an acoustic guitar and rattled a "complimentary" tip jar in front of every person in the room at the end of her set.

The "screening" was merely a DVD copy projected onto a blank wall, but combined with everything else, it was a perfect way to watch such a brilliantly absurdist movie. The film concluded with a Q&A session with Richard Elfman himself, which was conducted by the theater's owner: an aging hippie in purple pajama pants who asked him such engaging questions as "if the glue in your autobiography was scented, what would that scent be?". Even though Richard was just as confused as we were, he was a great sport, telling a lot of rousing stories and getting to talk to everyone in the room (but probably not the hobo).

It was the most surreal cinema experience I've had yet...I've been to a lot of weird screenings for weird movies, but I'm still waiting for something to top that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/theskibz
Tabascofanatikerin

PostSubject: Re: Your special Cinema Experiences   Fri May 02, 2014 5:14 pm

@Skibz: Thank you, this story made me laugh (especially the part with the rap CD selling guy) Very Happy
@ChaosTheory: You could see "Moonrise Kingdom" alone in the cinema? That's awesome!

I agree with parts from the other stories here: WHY - just WHY - do people have to talk in the cinema during the movie or even explain them? One of mankind's biggest unsolved mysteries.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tabascofanatikerin.deviantart.com
perkele

PostSubject: Re: Your special Cinema Experiences   Fri May 02, 2014 7:21 pm

When I went to see The Raid: Redemption in theaters, there was only me and my two friends.

Although none of us said anything during it cause we were just flabbergasted by the awesomeness of the movie  Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your special Cinema Experiences   

Back to top Go down

Your special Cinema Experiences
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1