Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Favourite Fiction Books

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
80'sDavid

PostSubject: Favourite Fiction Books   Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:41 pm

I'm not sure if this thread has been done before, I did a search and couldn't find it if it has so cut me a little slack.

Anyway, favourite fiction books. I've compiled a list of my 10 favourite novels and then another list of my 5 favourite short story collections. Feel free to follow this format with your own picks or do it your own way, just let us know what fiction books you love.

So here we go:

Novels:

1. As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner
2. Lord of the Flies by William Golding
3. Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut
4. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
5. Lunar Park by Brett Easton Ellis
6. The Collector by John Fowles
7. In Watermelon Sugar by Richard Brautigan
8. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
9. It by Stephen King
10. Post Office by Charles Bukowski

Short Story Collections:

1. The October Country by Ray Bradbury
2. Complete Stories by Flannery O'Connor
3. For Esme with Love and Squalor by J.D Salinger
4. Dark Companions by Ramsay Campbell
5. The Call of Cthulhu and other weird stories by H.P Lovecraft
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thepeoplewholooklikebrianlewis.blogspot.co.uk
ChaosTheory

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Fiction Books   Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:35 pm

Hmmm....here goes, random order:

books:
The Stand, Stephen King
Misery, Stephen King
The Keep, F. Paul Wilson
Frankenstein, Mary Shelley
Tom Sawyer & Huckleberry Finn, Mark Twain
Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte
The Terror, Dan Simmons
The Inferno, Dante
We Have Always Lived in the Castle, Shirley Jackson
And Then There Were None, Agatha Christie

short stories:
"The Colour Out of Space" and other misc., H.P. Lovecraft
"The Masque of the Red Death", Edgar Allen Poe
"The Last Leaf" and other misc., O.Henry
anything by Richard Matheson or Guy de Maupessant

I'm sure I'm forgetting something key... Neutral 
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://anxietycloset.storenvy.com
80'sDavid

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Fiction Books   Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:05 pm

Some great picks there. Misery would definitely make my top 20 list and a friend gave me a Guy De Maupassant collection for my birthday and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I've been considering picking something up by Shirley Jackson for a while as I've never read anything of hers before. The Haunting of Hill House would seem like the obvious choice but maybe I should go for We Have Always Lived in the Castle instead. Would that make for a good introduction to her work?
Back to top Go down
ChaosTheory

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Fiction Books   Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:22 pm

That's a good question. I think Hill House would probably be the best intro to her work; Castle is a little more offbeat, like some of her short stories like "The Lottery." I love all her stuff though  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://anxietycloset.storenvy.com
80'sDavid

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Fiction Books   Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:17 am

I'll go with Hill House then.

Also feel free to recommend me any other good horror books/writers. I've read a lot of King and Lovecraft, a little Blackwood and a fair amount of Ramsey Campbells short story collections (all of which I've adored) but I don't really know where to go in the genre from there. I tend to prefer classically spooky stuff to overly gory, but a little of both is always good.
Back to top Go down
Tabascofanatikerin

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Fiction Books   Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:02 am

Well, I just grab out the fiction books out of my favourite books list...

"1984" by George Orwell is top-notch but I also enjoyed "Animal farm" very much. Other Orwell books I know and like are based on real life events.

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams is an awesome, funny Sci-Fi book even though I'm not a Sci-Fi fan. Speaking of: "Spaceship Titanic" by Terry Jones is another good funny Sci-Fi book I enjoyed.

I also love Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein". "Making History" by Stephen Fry is my favourite Fry novel. Max Brooks' "Zombie Survival Guide" is a great survival handbook how to surive a (fictional) zombie invasion. And "Der kleine König Dezember" (the Little King December) by Axel Hacke is a beautiful little fantasy story in the very realistic city life of Munich.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tabascofanatikerin.deviantart.com
80'sDavid

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Fiction Books   Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:56 pm

1984 and Animal Farm are the only Orwell books I've read but I very much enjoyed them both, especially Animal Farm which would probably be up there in my top 20.

I love Stephen Fry but have never read anything by him although I'd like to. He's a very interesting guy.
Back to top Go down
Tabascofanatikerin

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Fiction Books   Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:40 am

80'sDavid wrote:
1984 and Animal Farm are the only Orwell books I've read but I very much enjoyed them both, especially Animal Farm which would probably be up there in my top 20.
Even though this is the "Favorite Fiction Books" thread I'd like to recommend you the two remaining Orwell books that I've read once because they are really good: "Down and out in Paris and London" and "Homage to Catalonia". The first one is a memoir about living and working under total poverty in the called cities and the latter one is a memoir about Orwell's experiences in the Spanish Civil War. I find "Down and out" especially amazing.

Quote :
I love Stephen Fry but have never read anything by him although I'd like to. He's a very interesting guy.
Well, he's written a lot of books to read, that's true. I have even managed to read most of them.

If there's one Fry book I would recommend for a start it's - of course - "Making History" (also one of the very few books that gave me a love story I'm totally into and I didn't expect anything like this when I started to read the book Very Happy). However, others I found very good were "The Hippopotamus" (Fiction), " Moab Is My Washpot: An Autobiography" (Non-Fiction) and "Mrs Fry's Diary" (Fiction).

By the way: Since I found out this way how good he also is at writing books I love him even more Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tabascofanatikerin.deviantart.com
Weezy-LUiGi

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Fiction Books   Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:16 pm

I love anything by Edgar Allan Poe and Ambrose Bierce for starters. Still reading through the Twain collection mi madre got me for xmas. I love the Millennium trilogy by Stieg Larsson and read them about once a year. My favorite novel ever is Les Miserables Unabridged by Victor Hugo. AS a child, I loved to read Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls. That's really the extent of my fiction reading.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
80'sDavid

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Fiction Books   Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:57 am

Tabascofanatikerin wrote:
Even though this is the "Favorite Fiction Books" thread I'd like to recommend you the two remaining Orwell books that I've read once because they are really good: "Down and out in Paris and London" and "Homage to Catalonia". The first one is a memoir about living and working under total poverty in the called cities and the latter one is a memoir about Orwell's experiences in the Spanish Civil War. I find "Down and out" especially amazing.

I've been recommended Down and out in Paris and London by a few people in the past but I keep forgetting about it. It sounds like just the kind of book I'd love too, I definitely have to check it out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Fiction Books   

Back to top Go down

Favourite Fiction Books
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1