Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Most Disturbing Documentary Films I've Seen

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Otaku4Life

PostSubject: Most Disturbing Documentary Films I've Seen   Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:17 pm

Here's a list of what I like to call the most disturbing documentary films I've seen.

"Titicut Follies"
"The Bridge"
"Sick: The Life & Death of Bob Flanagan, Supermasochist"
"Super Size Me"
"Deliver Us From Evil"

Last edited by Otaku4Life on Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
80'sDavid

PostSubject: Re: Most Disturbing Documentary Films I've Seen   Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:23 pm

I don't watch anywhere near enough documentaries so I'll have to check some of those out.

One that really did get to me was Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills, though it was less disturbing and more fucking infuriating at how judgmental, prejudiced, corrupt and fucking small minded some human beings can be.

Another one that was kind of creepy was the Cropsey documentary about an urban legend on Staten Island.

These next two don't really fit the thread description but I think are noteworthy nonetheless:

Men Behind The Sun. I know it's considered an exploitation film/historical drama but I remember reading that the director originally intended to make it a documentary and most of the more disturbing and gruesome elements are events that did actually happen. Made all the more creepy by the fact that the US government granted immunity to the people in charge of Unit 731 in exchange for the information gathered by the horrendous experiments carried out there.

Four Hours in My Lai. Now this is a non-fiction book not a documentary film but I'm mentioning it because it's one of the most upsetting, disturbing and enraging documents of human despicableness that I've ever read or seen. It literally had me in tears, but they were as much tears of disgust and anger as they were sadness.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thepeoplewholooklikebrianlewis.blogspot.co.uk
ChaosTheory

PostSubject: Re: Most Disturbing Documentary Films I've Seen   Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:35 pm

DEAR ZACHARY and BLACKFISH are simultaneously depressing and infuriating. ONE DAY IN SEPTEMBER (re: the Munich Olympics) was also really tough to watch.

I haven't had an opportunity to watch it yet, but there was one that premiered at Sundance this year, HAPPY VALLEY, that's about the Sandusky/Penn State incident(s). I want to see it, but I have a feeling it'll be brutal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://anxietycloset.storenvy.com
perkele

PostSubject: Re: Most Disturbing Documentary Films I've Seen   Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:26 am

Pumping Iron

I found this part to be the most disturbing:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Otaku4Life

PostSubject: Re: Most Disturbing Documentary Films I've Seen   Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:21 pm

80'sDavid wrote:

Another one that was kind of creepy was the Cropsey documentary about an urban legend on Staten Island.
I happen to born on Staten Island.
I've never even heard about Cropsey until now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AstaKask

PostSubject: Re: Most Disturbing Documentary Films I've Seen   Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:37 am

Jesus Camp
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tabascofanatikerin

PostSubject: Re: Most Disturbing Documentary Films I've Seen   Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:49 am

I think the most disturbing documentary I've seen is "Jonestown - The Life and Death of Peoples Temple".

It showed me for the first time what the cult of Peoples Temple was and what was the story behind it. It made me wanna cry at the end while listening to parts of the "Death Tape" for minutes and minutes.

It's also one of the best documentaries I've seen: It has no narrator or host, only the surviving ex-members (and/or their relatives) and other witnesses telling their story and view on it.
And it teaches in a strong way how dangerous cults can be, no matter how good they might sound and look like in the beginning.

About the other documentaries named here in the posts before this one: I haven't seen them so far even though I love good documentaries. However, I heard of "Jesus Camp" and wanna watch this someday for sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tabascofanatikerin.deviantart.com
Otaku4Life

PostSubject: Re: Most Disturbing Documentary Films I've Seen   Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:50 am

The documentaries I've seen that are disturbing are the ones that are shown on HBO.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Otaku4Life

PostSubject: Re: Most Disturbing Documentary Films I've Seen   Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:19 am

AstaKask wrote:
Jesus Camp
I've just finished watching "Jesus Camp" on Netflix.
It's shocking to see how a summer camp can turn children into religious extremists.
I've read that after the documentary's release, the summer camp became the target of criticism & controversy.
In the end, the camp was finally shut down.
If you really want to see an even more disturbing documentary about religion, watch "Deliver Us From Evil".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Otaku4Life

PostSubject: Re: Most Disturbing Documentary Films I've Seen   Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:26 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
theGerman

PostSubject: Re: Most Disturbing Documentary Films I've Seen   Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:51 pm

Would agree on Dear Zachary and the Paradise Lost Movies (includes West of Memphis)...those left some uneasy Feelings with me. Also the Documentary "The Act of Killing" which was actually nominated for an oscar this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Otaku4Life

PostSubject: Re: Most Disturbing Documentary Films I've Seen   Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:32 am

I've watched a Canadian docudrama called "Final 24" on Netflix.
It's about the final 24 hours of the lives of celebrities.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jabba the Slutt

PostSubject: Re: Most Disturbing Documentary Films I've Seen   Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:35 am

I'd have to go with Orozco the Embalmer. Easily one of the most uncomfortable things I've ever sat through
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Most Disturbing Documentary Films I've Seen   

Back to top Go down

Most Disturbing Documentary Films I've Seen
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1