The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

David Lynch appreciation thread

Go down 
+17
Frank Rizzo
Vendaval FJ
UnknownKadath
OriginalHorndog
Benjamin-J
AssimanDHI
Fargoth
Conan the Librarian
LucasChad
Azarias Kale
tonythe chosen
Lady stardust
Tommy Wiseau
Uzigon
DER_METZGERMEISTER
TK6530
Cactus_Matt
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Cactus_Matt

Cactus_Matt

David Lynch appreciation thread Empty
PostSubject: David Lynch appreciation thread   David Lynch appreciation thread EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 6:41 am

David Lynch is pretty much my god, hence why I've made this thread so we can discuss his brilliance, his films, TV and ad work, his art, his music, everything to do with him. And in our discussions hopefully convince others to see his films!

I'll get things started with, favourite Lynch film what is everybody's? Mine is INLAND EMPIRE, so mesmerising and terrifying, I love it.
Back to top Go down
TK6530

TK6530

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch appreciation thread   David Lynch appreciation thread EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 7:19 am

I think some of Lynch's craziest stuff is more of an acquired taste.

About my favorite one I have only one thing to say: Twin Peaks = AWESOME (the series)

I also liked Blue Velvet a lot. That movie was crazy and original, that's something that seems to be missing on today's films: originality. Why bother taking a risk with new stuff, lets just bet our money on a remake or a sequel instead.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1169421867#!/profile.php?
DER_METZGERMEISTER

DER_METZGERMEISTER

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch appreciation thread   David Lynch appreciation thread EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 7:24 am

He had some smarts when he used the song rammstein and heirate mich from rammstein. All around awsome.
Back to top Go down
http://bencrossthought.blogspot.com/
Uzigon

Uzigon

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch appreciation thread   David Lynch appreciation thread EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 8:04 am

I was on quite the Lynch tiff starting last November, had the chance to see Muholland Dr. and a 35mm print of Blue Velvet at one of the local independent which led to me getting the Twin Peaks and the Lime Green set for Chrimbus, which is sick cause I've never seen any Twin Peaks before, and I finally got a chance to see Wild at Heart, which was flippin' brilliant! I'm only just starting the second season of Twin Peaks, but it's quite engaging and those Lynch directed episodes are always a treat.

Still need to see Inland Empire, trying to find a good deal on video with the Lynch Two documentary (the Netflix version is too poor quality to even enjoy).
Back to top Go down
Tommy Wiseau

Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch appreciation thread   David Lynch appreciation thread EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 6:06 pm

I love Wild at Heart, Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks (not the movie though, the movie really pissed me off), and Dune. I know most people would disagree, but Dune is my favourite movie of his. I still have to watch Mulholland Drive though.
Back to top Go down
Cactus_Matt

Cactus_Matt

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch appreciation thread   David Lynch appreciation thread EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 6:20 pm

Tommy Wiseau wrote:
I love Wild at Heart, Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks (not the movie though, the movie really pissed me off), and Dune. I know most people would disagree, but Dune is my favourite movie of his. I still have to watch Mulholland Drive though.

I preferred the movie to the series but then again I always seem to be in the minority regarding these things.
Back to top Go down
Uzigon

Uzigon

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch appreciation thread   David Lynch appreciation thread EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 6:23 pm

Tommy Wiseau wrote:

'Dune' hey? It's been ages since I saw that one, in fact I think it was the first Lynch movie I saw, I actually didn't mind it - I consider it a cult classic. But I've gathered from interviews that it was a pretty stressful project for David Lynch and he's really not proud of it at all.

Get on 'Muholland Drive', it's one of his most interesting films. Every time I watch it I just want to it again and again, it's such a complex picture that's designed to be interpreted in seemingly endless ways that it keeps it intriguing and interesting on repeat viewings.
Back to top Go down
Lady stardust

Lady stardust

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch appreciation thread   David Lynch appreciation thread EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 4:03 pm

I like Twin Peaks, Mullholland Drive, and Inland Empire.

Last edited by Lady stardust on Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cactus_Matt

Cactus_Matt

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch appreciation thread   David Lynch appreciation thread EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 5:29 pm

Lady stardust wrote:
i like Twin Peaks, Mullholland Drive, and Inland Empire.

Awesome, another person who loves Inland Empire. I find we are very few (at least from people I've talked to).
Back to top Go down
Tommy Wiseau

Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch appreciation thread   David Lynch appreciation thread EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 5:31 am

Here's an interesting, in-progress blog I found that highlights every Lynch film & Twin Peaks episode he directed, for those interested: http://entertainmentguidefilmtv.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
tonythe chosen

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch appreciation thread   David Lynch appreciation thread EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 11:23 am

Tommy Wiseau wrote:
Good to hear im not the only one who enjoyed Dune. Its not my favorite Lynch film but i do highly enjoy it. My favorite one is Blue velvet which would probaly be in my 20 all time favorite films. I have also seen,Earaserhead,and the elephant man both wihich i loved. im need to lynch and i still need to check out more of his stuff
Back to top Go down
Azarias Kale

Azarias Kale

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch appreciation thread   David Lynch appreciation thread EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 6:32 am

Just being the new guy and having to throw my two-cents in: David Lynch is one of the Pantheon of Movie Gods.

Blue Velvet is definitely in my Top 10 list of all-time movies. Twin Peaks was a great show, though season 2 was definitely a let down compared to the first season, while the movie was great! Dune was also pretty good, though not my favorite Dune-related film (sadly that goes to Children of Dune).

So yeah, he is a golden God!
Back to top Go down
LucasChad

LucasChad

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch appreciation thread   David Lynch appreciation thread EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 8:37 am

@Cactus-Matt

I just saw The Elephant Man the other day, and it was wonderful. Shame it didn't win any of the eight Oscar nominations. If you had the chance, how many of the eight categories this movie should've won?
Back to top Go down
Cactus_Matt

Cactus_Matt

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch appreciation thread   David Lynch appreciation thread EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 3:36 pm

LucasChad wrote:
@Cactus-Matt

I just saw The Elephant Man the other day, and it was wonderful. Shame it didn't win any of the eight Oscar nominations. If you had the chance, how many of the eight categories this movie should've won?

All of them, lol. I'm an unashamed Lynch fanboy though Razz
Back to top Go down
Conan the Librarian

Conan the Librarian

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch appreciation thread   David Lynch appreciation thread EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 7:13 am

LucasChad wrote:
@Cactus-Matt

Didn't know Lynch did Elephant Man.

I always liked Twin Peaks & Eraser Head. Some of the first really crazy stuff I saw as a young'en.
Back to top Go down
Fargoth

Fargoth

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch appreciation thread   David Lynch appreciation thread EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 8:41 am

I have seen two Lynch films: Eraserhead and Dune. I love them both, for very different reasons.

Eraserhead: Okay. I'm afraid. When Henry gives that horrible scream in the beginning, when the Man in the Planet pulls his lever, when his head falls to the ground, and the baby oh god the baby what is that thing oh god, all great frightening images. Always use a condom boys and girls. Really nice industrial atmosphere too.

Dune: A great book made into an epic. Yes its weird and cheesy and probably isn't very good. I don't care. "LONG LIVE THE FIGHTERS!" Patrick Stewart and Sting!
Back to top Go down
AssimanDHI

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch appreciation thread   David Lynch appreciation thread EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 10:58 pm

Eraserhead was good, I don't remember much about it though.

Dune was horrible and Blue Velvet is overrated as shit. I've heard that he made a good series or something, maybe I should check that out
Back to top Go down
Benjamin-J

Benjamin-J

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch appreciation thread   David Lynch appreciation thread EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 1:04 am

I've been trying to work my way through Lynch's body of work for a while now, in no particular order. The thing about his movies is that they all require your undivided attention to really absorb them and pick up on things, which I'm usually not able to give.

I loved/was scared shitless by Eraserhead - it's abstract symbolism run amok, remains one of my favorite B&W movies.

The Elephant Man was beautiful. IMO Lynch's best mainstream film (yes, better than Dune).

Wild at Heart was a lot of fun: A very twisted fairy tale wrapped in pure, concentrated batshit craziness from Nic Cage and pretty much everyone else in the cast.

Blue Velvet wasn't entirely my cup of tea, but Dennis Hopper and Isabella Rossellini were awesome in it.

Twin Peaks was a little before my time. I'm told it's excellent though, and I plan to track it down. Ditto for Mulholland Drive, though I've heard less promising things about that one.

Lost Highway was one I didn't see mentioned here very much, but I'm oddly fascinated by it. It's an incredible mindfuck, even by Lynch's standards, and the cast was great - even Richard Pryor's cameo, creepy as it was as a fan to see him at that late stage of deterioration in his life.

I had a copy of Inland Empire for a while, but couldn't get into it at the time. I fully intend to give it another try soon, though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.soulexo.com
Tommy Wiseau

Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch appreciation thread   David Lynch appreciation thread EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 1:14 am

Benjamin-J wrote:

Ditto for Mulholland Drive, though I've heard less promising things about that one.

Mulholland Drive is incredible. If you liked Lost Highway, there's no doubt you'll be more in love with Mulholland Drive. Make sure you watch it.
Back to top Go down
AssimanDHI

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch appreciation thread   David Lynch appreciation thread EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 1:22 am

Oh yeah, Benjamin, thanks for reminding me! Elephant Man was great.
Back to top Go down
OriginalHorndog

OriginalHorndog

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch appreciation thread   David Lynch appreciation thread EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 5:56 am

Lynch is one of my favorites. Amazing filmmaker. Lynch is one of the people that really got me to respect music.
Back to top Go down
http://horndogs1.blogspot.com
UnknownKadath

UnknownKadath

Location : I live in my namesake, of course!.. Okay, in real life - Japan.

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch appreciation thread   David Lynch appreciation thread EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 9:24 am

I just stepped into this thread.

I've only seen a couple of Lynch's films; Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, Dune and The Elephant Man. Outside of his films, I have seen some of his early short films (Never thought in my life I could say to someone "Have you seen The Alphabet? It freaks me the fuck out.") and I recently started watching Twin Peaks.

I liked all of them except Dune. However, even with that said - I feel that Dune was redeemable due to Lynch's direction and artistry. If there is something I can say is that he is extremely talented, and I love the design of his pieces. Eraserhead quickly shot up to being one of my favourite films, for the sole reason of it being one of the few that genuinely scares the crap out of me. My eternal quest is for movies that invoke the genuine emotion of fear and confusion, and Eraserhead did a damn good job of it. I like to call movies with similar styles (Black and white, weird noises, weird visuals, a penchant for foul and inhuman sounds and images afflicting humans in some polarized way - etc.) "Nightmare-O-Vision" because it reminds me of what my personal nightmares look like.

The Elephant man was probably the first film I saw by him, as I saw it when I was a kid - but I didn't really know who he was at the time.

I may not have seen the bulk of his work (yet) but what I have tasted of his work, I can say I respect him. He knows how to pull off a dream like atmosphere with absolute grace, and knows how to be "weird" - but not meaningless or pretentious; though some may disagree with that. I actually sought out more of his work when I found out the level of inspiration the Silent Hill games took from Twin Peaks and Blue Velvet; so I have Lynch (As well as Adrian Lyne on the "Jacob's Ladder" side of Silent Hill's inspiration; though I was aware of that one before Silent Hill.) for Silent Hill and I also must thank Silent Hill for more or less introducing me to Lynch.
Back to top Go down
Vendaval FJ

Vendaval FJ

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch appreciation thread   David Lynch appreciation thread EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 5:33 am

A big fan of his works, used Eraserhead as a date movie once and still with the same person.

I think she's just quickly gotten used to my library of peculiar films.
Back to top Go down
http://forgottenjunk.webs.com/
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch appreciation thread   David Lynch appreciation thread EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 5:36 am

Vendaval FJ wrote:
A big fan of his works, used Eraserhead as a date movie once and still with the same person.

That sounds.....very oddly romantic.
Back to top Go down
Vendaval FJ

Vendaval FJ

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch appreciation thread   David Lynch appreciation thread EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 5:43 am

Frank Rizzo wrote:
Vendaval FJ wrote:

That sounds.....very oddly romantic.

Followed by the 1986 Indonesian First Blood knock-off, The Intruder. Probably the strangest two things you could ever show your partner.
Back to top Go down
http://forgottenjunk.webs.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: David Lynch appreciation thread   David Lynch appreciation thread Empty

Back to top Go down

David Lynch appreciation thread
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next