HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

MTV, WTF?!?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Otaku4Life

PostSubject: MTV, WTF?!?   Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:16 am

I used to be a huge fan of MTV while growing up in the early 90's
I enjoyed watching the music videos & the animated series (Beavis & Butthead, Daria, The Maxx, Ren & Stimpy, etc).
But now, the entire channel has "OD'ed" on crappy reality shows (Jersey Shore, My Super Sweet 16, 16 & Pregnant, Teen Mom, etc).
To be honest, Jackass was a great show.
What ever happened to MTV?
It used to be all about the music.

Last edited by Otaku4Life on Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jasn0_X

PostSubject: Re: MTV, WTF?!?   Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:28 am

Even MTV2 flipped over to crap reality TV after being the alternative for music videos for a long time.

And since VH1 is a part of that network they also show shit TV...

At the end of the day my guess is that its extremely cheap to make reality TV, requires very little effort on their part and enough dumb people watch it.

The next pile of garbage coming our way is "Real World:  Ex-plosion" where they put guys into a house with their ex-girlfriends.  Because that stupid cheater island show from Fox wasn't bad enough.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: MTV, WTF?!?   Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:12 am

We can blame The Osbournes for starting the trend of reality shows on MTV....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Otaku4Life

PostSubject: Re: MTV, WTF?!?   Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:14 am

Frank Rizzo wrote:
We can blame The Osbournes for starting the trend of reality shows on MTV....
And also "The Real World" & "Singled Out".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Otaku4Life

PostSubject: Re: MTV, WTF?!?   Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:18 am

I really love this show on MTV Europe.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
jasn0_X

PostSubject: Re: MTV, WTF?!?   Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:02 pm

Yeah what Otaku4Life said..."Real World" & "Road Rules" are where it started.

In the first season of "Real World" they stumbled onto "gold" when two of the housemates got into a fight off camera.  After that they realized that putting reasonable people on TV was "boring" and the way to go was to find ways to intentionally introduce human conflict into these "real" environments was the way to gain ratings.  Thus stuff like "The Osbournes"...

What they originally did was introduce a complete over the top moron into the mix.  Then they moved onto two morons.  Some where along the way they figured out that scripting would increase the amount of incidents.  Then finally they did all that with entire group of morons instead of just one or two.  Boom, instant "hit" TV show with low production costs and minimal effort.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Otaku4Life

PostSubject: Re: MTV, WTF?!?   Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:48 pm

jasn0_X wrote:
Yeah what Otaku4Life said..."Real World" & "Road Rules" are where it started.

In the first season of "Real World" they stumbled onto "gold" when two of the housemates got into a fight off camera.  After that they realized that putting reasonable people on TV was "boring" and the way to go was to find ways to intentionally introduce human conflict into these "real" environments was the way to gain ratings.  Thus stuff like "The Osbournes"...

As I mentioned before in my first post, the channel had officially "OD'ed" on crap reality shows in the end.
That's my best way to describe what happened to MTV as well as MTV2.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Otaku4Life

PostSubject: Re: MTV, WTF?!?   Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:58 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
polygonalchemist

PostSubject: Re: MTV, WTF?!?   Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:53 pm

If you're gonna talk about classic MTV and puppets, you can't not mention Sifl and Olly, damnit!

I do have to confess that I've always had a soft spot for Pimp my Ride, though.  Just the absolute ridiculous shit they'd do to people's cars on that show.  Sadly I later learned from an AMA on Reddit with a guy that was on an episode of the show, that they didn't actually fix any of the mechanical problems the car had,  and he ended up selling it anyway because of the insurance costs.

And as distasteful as I find the show, There is a study that claims that the show has had an effect on lowering teenage pregnancy rates somewhat, so there's that, at least.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Otaku4Life

PostSubject: Re: MTV, WTF?!?   Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:10 am

polygonalchemist wrote:
If you're gonna talk about classic MTV and puppets, you can't not mention Sifl and Olly, damnit!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
theGerman

PostSubject: Re: MTV, WTF?!?   Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:47 pm

In germany we don't even get MTV on free TV anymore. Instead we got a channel called VIVA owned by MTV and it's the same there. 90% reality shows (Stuff like Teen Mom etc) and 10% music (really shitty chart music).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: MTV, WTF?!?   Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:36 pm

MTV started to turn to shit in the mid-late 90's. it was still an ok channel during the early 00's. but once they stopped airing music videos well that weren't on in the early morning or the middle of the fucking night when nobody is awake. in fact when I saw they had a nomination for best music video on the grammy's I said to myself WTF? they are still nominating them ? cause the only way I want to see a video is on fucking you tube.

that's NOT how it should work. MTV and VH1 are pure shit now. all they show is Reality tv. yes The osbourne family didn't help. and Road Rules didn't either. but SIngled Out I never cared for. Love Line is the one I loved.

MTV doesn't have anything on anymore that I even watch, cept for the movie awards and maybe the music awards and that's it. and that's if I even remember if they are even fucking on! or see them on. how bands and artists regardless how bad music is now even promotes their album is beyond me? MTV and VH1 used to have video's on during the day and that's what got me interested into this or that band or artist. now I have to look on you tube if I want to see the video. and when I bought Eric Clapton's newest album last year. I still don't know what songs were put out as singles. I have to look on Wikipedia for that. how fucked up is that?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MTV, WTF?!?   

Back to top Go down

MTV, WTF?!?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Cinema Snob :: Other Stuff :: The Groove Tube-
Jump to: