Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Oscars - Best Picture

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CWEST54

PostSubject: The Oscars - Best Picture   Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:36 am

You'll have to excuse me for being a bit of a noob here but have enjoyed the forums for a while so decided to get in on the action.

It may be considered a bit mainstream to discuss the Oscars here, but i was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the upcoming Academy Awards. I listed one category and my pick along with some colourful comments.

Best Picture:

Should go to Inception
Will go to Social Network

Verdict - Travesty, over the last year the industry has had a major hardon for Arron Sorkin to the point where most people even think he directed this film, is it me or did most people first find out about him when he had a cameo on Entourage. Having looked at his previous work, you'll find what I found, failed TV shows, West Wing being the exception (that was just boring) and for the most part very dry movies.

With the Social Network, it's the direction that drives the film not the screenplay, the characters are written almost sub-human, i've seen robots in movies conversate more realistically.

Brad said it best when he talked about schools using Inception to teach film classes, no-one will be using the facebook film for that, Soical Network is more like the Davinci Code, it's a page turner and nothing more.

I would like to know how others see this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars - Best Picture   Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:32 am

Best Picture: True Grit

Will most likely go to: Black Swan or The Social Network.

Verdict: Popularity contest.

I've not seen The Social Network, and candidly, I'll probably never get around to it, so I'm not here to rail against it. Instead, I'm going to talk about True Grit v. Black Swan.

Now, I'd like to prefeace this statement by saying that I loved both of these movies immensly, and are probably the two best films of the year (though I hven't seen The King's Speech yet either). I find, however, that True Grit is the better movie. There is no great difference between the two in terms of quality, but rather, it is in the small details that True Grit surpasses Black Swan. Little things, like the tighter camera work in Grit, the superior dialogue, and what I feel is a more interesting group of characters acted out by a superior cast.

I fear, however, that as True Grit is a relatively straight-forward genre film, albiet a great one, it will be largely overlooked by the Academy, as I feel it has by the general media, in favor of the more...unusual style of Black Swan (I'm know there's a more appropriate word, but it escapes me at the moment). While Black Swan is an excceptional thriller, it does suffer in a few aspects. For example, there were moments where the editing or the camera work just seemed sloppy, which is a shame because Aronofsy can pull off some truly stunning moments, but seems unable or unwilling to apply the same attention to detail throughout the entire film. There were also moments where the dialogue just felt a little...off, and the characters the characters occasionally say or do things that make no sense. Also, probably the one thing that took me out of the movie more than anything else, is the fucking ending. I won't give it away in case some of you haven't seen it yet, but it really annoyed me.

But, given the artistic flair of Black Swan, and the amount of buzz it's already generated, I have a feeling the Academy will go along with popular opinion and vote for Swan.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
LucasChad

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars - Best Picture   Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:51 am

My vote is for Inception while Toy Story 3 (my favorite film of the year) will win for Best Animated Feature!

But I think the film that will win for Best Picture is The King's Speech! Why? Because it won the Producer's Guild Award!

Think about it! While The Social Network has already been garnered with Best Picture awards to the point where it might be projected to win Best Picture, The King's Speech winning the PGA might change all that. Usually, the Best Picture Oscar goes to the producers of the movie and I'm pretty sure that if a movie wins the coveted PGA award, its chances to win the Best Picture Oscar become increased. If The King's Speech does win Best Picture on Oscar night, I'm sure some will be surprised while others like me won't!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cactus_Matt

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars - Best Picture   Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:31 am

The fact that Nolan didn't get a nomination for directing when it was by far the best directing job of 2010 means I don't care what happens in this years awards, I refuse to watch them based on that alone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
relauby

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars - Best Picture   Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:02 am

I'm with you guys saying Social Network will probably win Best Picture, but I wouldn't be too upset if it did win. Mostly because I know my favorite movie of the year, Toy Story 3, has no chance of winning.

Also, you guys are making me feel really anxious about seeing The King's Speech. I haven't seen it yet, because it didn't seem that interesting, but now I want to and I know it'll probably leave theaters in a week or so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars - Best Picture   Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:49 pm

The Dude wrote:
Best Picture: True Grit

Will most likely go to: Black Swan or The Social Network.

Verdict: Popularity contest.

I've not seen The Social Network, and candidly, I'll probably never get around to it, so I'm not here to rail against it. Instead, I'm going to talk about True Grit v. Black Swan.

Now, I'd like to prefeace this statement by saying that I loved both of these movies immensly, and are probably the two best films of the year (though I hven't seen The King's Speech yet either). I find, however, that True Grit is the better movie. There is no great difference between the two in terms of quality, but rather, it is in the small details that True Grit surpasses Black Swan. Little things, like the tighter camera work in Grit, the superior dialogue, and what I feel is a more interesting group of characters acted out by a superior cast.

I fear, however, that as True Grit is a relatively straight-forward genre film, albiet a great one, it will be largely overlooked by the Academy, as I feel it has by the general media, in favor of the more...unusual style of Black Swan (I'm know there's a more appropriate word, but it escapes me at the moment). While Black Swan is an excceptional thriller, it does suffer in a few aspects. For example, there were moments where the editing or the camera work just seemed sloppy, which is a shame because Aronofsy can pull off some truly stunning moments, but seems unable or unwilling to apply the same attention to detail throughout the entire film. There were also moments where the dialogue just felt a little...off, and the characters the characters occasionally say or do things that make no sense. Also, probably the one thing that took me out of the movie more than anything else, is the fucking ending. I won't give it away in case some of you haven't seen it yet, but it really annoyed me.

But, given the artistic flair of Black Swan, and the amount of buzz it's already generated, I have a feeling the Academy will go along with popular opinion and vote for Swan.

As much as I want Black Swan to win (my favourite of the year), it's not going to. It's not a very "safe" or "easy" movie to watch, and I feel the more conventional people in the Academy won't enjoy it as much as most of the other nominees.

I still haven't seen 127 Hours, The Fighter, or Winter's Bone but:

Want to win: Black Swan
Will Win: The Social Network
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars - Best Picture   Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:39 am

Cactus_Matt wrote:
The fact that Nolan didn't get a nomination for directing when it was by far the best directing job of 2010 means I don't care what happens in this years awards, I refuse to watch them based on that alone.
I was under-impressed with Inception. Don't get me wrong, it was a good flick, but everyone acts like it was some floor-shaking masterpiece, and I just can't see it. Apparently, the academy thinks along similar lines.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars - Best Picture   Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:52 am

The Dude wrote:
I was under-impressed with Inception. Don't get me wrong, it was a good flick, but everyone acts like it was some floor-shaking masterpiece, and I just can't see it. Apparently, the academy thinks along similar lines.

I somewhat agree. Even though I loved that movie, I don't think the direction is necessarily what made it so good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars - Best Picture   Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:03 am

Tommy Wiseau wrote:
The Dude wrote:

I somewhat agree. Even though I loved that movie, I don't think the direction is necessarily what made it so good.
Indeed. I don't recall there being any characters I really cared about that much. For me, it was just your standard Sci-Fi adventure, updated for the new millennium.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars - Best Picture   Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:23 am

The Dude wrote:

Indeed. I don't recall there being any characters I really cared about that much. For me, it was just your standard Sci-Fi adventure, updated for the new millennium.

And even then, the dazzling creativity in the special effects, the cinematography, and the writing were what made it work so well. Sure, it probably won't have done so well in most directors' hands, but Nolan did only a good job.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
IAKO

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars - Best Picture   Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:58 am

I'm with The Dude on this one. To me, Inception is solid in all aspects and benefits from a relatively complex (or complexly told) story that rewards the attentive viewer (or a second watch), but it has absolutely no elements of greatness whatsoever (aside from Joseph Gordon-Levitt's wardrobe). I was completely unable to emotionally invest myself in Cobb's struggle and I cared a lot more about the secondary characters. Also, I didn't find the special effects particularly creative or impressive and I thought the cinematography was somewhat dull, especially for a movie about dreams. But then again, maybe Nolan has some very boring looking dreams. I can see why some people would call this one great, it's easier then understanding why some people think that Avatar is the best movie ever, but I'm no big admirer. I would actually be rather glad if it got "robbed" at the Academy Awards.

The Oscars themselves are a bit of a joke, but I like the buzz and the excitement surrounding the event. Hopefully, the hosts will do a better job then last year (was hard to watch, honestly).

And if neither Jeff Bridges nor Hailee Steinfeld wins an Oscar, I'll be sad.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars - Best Picture   Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:28 am

I Am a Knock Off wrote:
And if neither Jeff Bridges nor Hailee Steinfeld wins an Oscar, I'll be sad.
Both should get one, but neither probably will.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
relauby

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars - Best Picture   Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:51 am

Speaking of Hailee Steinfeld, why is she only up for Best Supporting Actress? She was in every scene of the movie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars - Best Picture   Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:02 am

Relauby wrote:
Speaking of Hailee Steinfeld, why is she only up for Best Supporting Actress? She was in every scene of the movie.

Because the studio wanted to increse her chances to win. If she was nominated for Best Actress, she'd be up against Natalie Portman and Nicole Kidman, and would absolutely not win. As a supporting actress, though, she will more likely win.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Oscars - Best Picture   

Back to top Go down

The Oscars - Best Picture
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1