The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Have I become immune to horror movies?

Go down 
+2
theGerman
perkele
6 posters
AuthorMessage
perkele

perkele

Have I become immune to horror movies? Empty
PostSubject: Have I become immune to horror movies?   Have I become immune to horror movies? EmptyWed Sep 04, 2013 10:10 pm

Let me start off by saying that I did NOT grow up watching horror. I mainly watched, well, kids' films. I remember being terrified of Jurassic Park at the age of 9 or 10. I was pretty scared at Sphere (1998) when I was about 11 or 12. I might even have seen some nightmares over an episode of Supernatural, and I was almost 13 at that point. (I watched that same episode recently and it was actually quite laughable now)

But after that... the movies just didn't do it for me anymore. I saw Friday the 13th and Halloween in my early teens, they gave me some chills but I can't really say I was scared at them. Blair Witch project I saw few years ago, that was kinda creepy but It didn't give make me fear woods, you know.

This is not to say I don't LIKE horror movies. Movies like The Evil Dead, John Carpenter's the Thing, Shining, Romero's zombie-films, Re-Animator, etc. etc. etc. are all great movies, some of them even my all-time favorites but... I'm just not SCARED of them.

The reason I bring this whole thing up because I just saw The Exorcist for the first time last night, after somehow avoiding it all my life. And it didn't do anything for me. Sure, the hype probably had a big part in it. After years of hearing how it's one of the scariest movies of all time and reading stories of people fainting in the theaters, it just can't live up to my expectations. But I at least expected a bit more from the scariest movie of all time.

It seems that the only way left for me to get the same kind of kicks that horror movies used to give me is to read online creepypastas. Yeah, most of them are pretty stupid but some of them can really get under your skin man.

I can't be the only one feeling this way. Are there only so many horror movies you can see before they lose their power? Please, people, I challenge you to find me a movie that will really ruin my night's sleep.
Back to top Go down
theGerman

theGerman

PostSubject: Re: Have I become immune to horror movies?   Have I become immune to horror movies? EmptyThu Sep 05, 2013 12:05 am

I'm at a point with horror movies that almost only jumpscares can get any emotional response out of me anymore.
But lately the movies by James Wan (especially The Conjuring and Insidious) were able to get me with their chilling atmosphere in some scenes.
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: Have I become immune to horror movies?   Have I become immune to horror movies? EmptyThu Sep 05, 2013 4:30 am

i'm a bit older than Brad by 3 years. so i was around in the 80's. films as a kid that gave me nightmares that i can think of the top of my head. friday the 13th i still watched them. in part 2 there's that scene where she's talking about seeing jason in the woods and it scaring the shit out of her as a kid. that part is what gave me nightmares cause it can happen.

when we rented Child's play. the 1st one by the way. me and my brother were being babysat at the time. by a family friend it had just came on VHS. and we watched it with the lights off on a friday night. i had nightmares for awhile cause of that. jason and freddy would both give me nightmares.

with Freddy i think it was the idea that he popped into your dream and you can't wake up if he gets you. that what scared me. with the exorcist i grew up watching that film. i never had any from that film. and if i did i don't remember at all having them. when i first learned at some point about what happend when it first came out i went WTF? cause i never had any of that even as a kid.

i think it may have scared me a little, but not in the way that it's 1st run had people leaving the theatre. her controlling the furniture and the looks she gave while being possessed is what gave me the creeps. i don't remember any nightmares on that one.

every now & than a horror film does scare me. Rose Red gave me nightmares cause the idea that the house could build itself and you could get lost in it that's the part that gave me the creeps.
with the house on haunted hill that also creeped me out. the remake not the original. horror films RARELY scare me anymore but those two films actually did. i give the film makers props if they can do that. i was watching a amityvile documentary a couple years back it's the one that was made in (2000) in the UK i believe. and i watched it before i went to bed. so i was watching it with the lights off. there's a part of it where they talk about this boy that each guest saw.

he was a ghost, and they showed the picture and this kid had red eyes, you know how sometimes when you take pictures that happens? well that's what this kid looked like. that creeped me out.
and watching it with the lights off helped too.
and it for some reason gave me nightmares. the evil dead i think also was another one that did give me them growing up. so your question is yes it does happen every once in awhile. but not that often. i used to have nightmares all the time, i dunno if they were from the films i watched or whatever reason. but i rarely get them now. horror films can still have that effect on me, but it's RARE. how about anyone else?
Back to top Go down
ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory

PostSubject: Re: Have I become immune to horror movies?   Have I become immune to horror movies? EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 1:52 am

When I was a child my parents monitored what movies I saw pretty closely; so I didn't really get interested in horror until I was well into my teens and I was fairly desensitized.  Stalker and splatter movies generally don't affect me much.  I tend to get more scared by atmosphere/psychological things.  For example, COMPLIANCE is not technically a horror movie but it's such a grim commentary on human nature, and the way it's filmed is kind of claustrophobic, that it really got under my skin and creeped me out.  Movies that are a little disorienting & trippy will do it for me too - like Dreyer's VAMPYR, BLACK SUNDAY, some of Argento's stuff, NOSFERATU.
The most stupid I ever felt getting scared by a movie was when I was staying up in the dorm room one night and CANDYMAN came on.  It was a Friday so the dorm was mostly empty.  I didn't think the movie was affecting me until it ended and I went to brush my teeth - our dorm had just one big communal bathroom on each floor.  So I'm standing in front of this wall of mirrors alone in the dark and suddenly I start to get really nervous and I refuse to look up and I book it out of there.  Not my proudest moment lol.

Last edited by ChaosTheory on Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://anxietycloset.storenvy.com
aga

aga

PostSubject: Re: Have I become immune to horror movies?   Have I become immune to horror movies? EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 2:27 am

There are so many factors that go into whether or not someone finds a movie scary that I don't know if rattling off a list would really be of much help. XD In my experience there's a lot that goes into it - your personal experiences, personal fears, the conditions under which you watch the film, the format it's watched (big screen or small screen, lights on or lights off, alone or with people), the willingness to suspend your disbelief, sensitivity to the representation of physical pain, etc.

Hahaha, I found the Grudge 2 really scary, but I was in a packed theatre full of 16 year old girls losing their fucking marbles, and it just rubbed off on me for some reason. In contrast, I was laughing all the way through the first one in a room full of silent, nervous adults.

I watched Blair Witch in the theaters when it came out and couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. Then I saw it at home, on a tiny tv, with the lights off in the dead of night, and it felt like I was really watching someone's cobbled-together footage.

I love the exorcist, but it doesn't really scare me. After talking to a friend though, she said it really scared her because it involves a child. tongue SO. Everyone's different.
Back to top Go down
Razzly

Razzly

PostSubject: Re: Have I become immune to horror movies?   Have I become immune to horror movies? EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 8:18 am

Last time I couldn't bare to look at a horror movie was when I was 8...

Movies can still make me sad though. So, eh.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Have I become immune to horror movies?   Have I become immune to horror movies? Empty

Back to top Go down

Have I become immune to horror movies?
Page 1 of 1