The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Why Going To The Movies So Expensive?

Go down 
+3
perkele
Frank Rizzo
Otaku4Life
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Otaku4Life

Otaku4Life

Why Going To The Movies So Expensive? Empty
PostSubject: Why Going To The Movies So Expensive?   Why Going To The Movies So Expensive? EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 9:47 am

I used to relax & go to the movie theater every week to see the newest blockbuster that's being released.
But now I don't go that very much nowadays.
Why you may ask?
It's because a movie ticket cost as much as ordering a pizza.
Back then, a matinee screening cost as low as $6.00.
But the price went up to $7.00 , then $8.00 & now $8.50.
With 3D movies, you have to pay extra for the glasses.
The regular screenings now cost $9.00 ($13.50 if you include the 3D glasses).
And now here's the biggest disaster of all.
Watching the movie while sitting in those stupid D-BOXes cost a whopping $17.00 for matinee, $18.00 for regular & $21.50 for 3D.
Might as well wait for the movie I want to see to be released on video or air on cable.

Last edited by Otaku4Life on Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: Why Going To The Movies So Expensive?   Why Going To The Movies So Expensive? EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 9:48 am

It all boils down to one thing:

Movie studios just wanna make money!
Back to top Go down
Otaku4Life

Otaku4Life

PostSubject: Re: Why Going To The Movies So Expensive?   Why Going To The Movies So Expensive? EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 9:50 am

Frank Rizzo wrote:
It all boils down to one thing:

Movie studios just wanna make money!
When was the movies Hollywood used to make all about the art & not about their wallets?
Back to top Go down
Otaku4Life

Otaku4Life

PostSubject: Re: Why Going To The Movies So Expensive?   Why Going To The Movies So Expensive? EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 9:53 am

What Hollywood Is Now Thinking About.
Back to top Go down
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: Why Going To The Movies So Expensive?   Why Going To The Movies So Expensive? EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 9:54 am

It's pretty much a fact of life Otaku.

studios will put out any dreck that they can scrape up if they think it'll make them money *cough*BeverlyHillsChiuaua*cough*
Back to top Go down
perkele

perkele

PostSubject: Re: Why Going To The Movies So Expensive?   Why Going To The Movies So Expensive? EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 2:48 pm

Here in Finland 2D ticket prices range from €6,50 ($8,50) to €13,50 ($17,60) depending on the theater and time of day.  So yeah, it's fucking expensive.
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: Why Going To The Movies So Expensive?   Why Going To The Movies So Expensive? EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 5:05 pm

it all comes down money. and it's not completely the movie theatre's fault. they want to make money of course. but these fucking actors make these stupid ass money 100 million for this or that picture. and so having to pay them and making the budgets even higher just to play their salary. they want to make some of their money back if the film flops. and so when they send these films to theatre's

and sorry for my shitty spelling. they have to make money too. cause if the film does flop they lose money so they have to keep their prices high for the tickets as well as for food and drinks. i think if actors/actresses didn't demand so much godammed money the budgets wouldn't be as big as they now are. it's kinda a bit like why is gas so much money now? greed it's all it is. they don't realize that if you lower gas to say $2.00 a gallon you will get more people buying gas than if you have it set at what is it is now which here it was $3.45 by one gas station and in other it was $3.55 a gallon.

people in this shitty economy try NOT to waste so much gas so they are in short losing money at least this is my own thoughts on this. they don't notice that when gas stations fuck up the price and make them $2.00 a gallon like someone did that here a few years ago here in ohio. that gas station was busy as fuck. and they had business for a few hrs. until about Noon when they raised the prices after realizing they fucked up the price. my guess is that was the most business they had had in a long ass time. they just didn't want to run out of gas so they fixed the price back.

that's my guess anyways. the same can prolly be said about going to the movies and making movies.
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: Why Going To The Movies So Expensive?   Why Going To The Movies So Expensive? EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 5:15 pm

and let me add agents/directors as well demanding so much money as well. i'm sure i also missed other folks a well but you get the point.
Back to top Go down
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: Why Going To The Movies So Expensive?   Why Going To The Movies So Expensive? EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 7:03 pm

I remember reading a story from around 2006-7 where a gas station's computer system malfunctioned, and for about an hour and a half, gas was 10 cents a gallon.

A few eagle eyed people saw this, and they went crazy filling up their gas tanks and such before the station owners realized the error.
Back to top Go down
tonythe chosen

PostSubject: Re: Why Going To The Movies So Expensive?   Why Going To The Movies So Expensive? EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 2:25 am

that needs to happen more often.....
Back to top Go down
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: Why Going To The Movies So Expensive?   Why Going To The Movies So Expensive? EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 2:29 am

tonythe chosen wrote:
that needs to happen more often.....

doesn't it though?
Back to top Go down
polygonalchemist

PostSubject: Re: Why Going To The Movies So Expensive?   Why Going To The Movies So Expensive? EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 3:50 am

Hell, when I was a kid and grew up in a small town, Matinee showings were like, $2.50. It was pretty awesome. I used to go see a movie every weekend, even if it was crap (Oh did I love crappy summer kids films when I was young, most of which stared Christopher Lloyd). But yea, as the cost went up, I started getting more selective about films I went to the theater to see. It's partially that the studios want to make more money, but also because movies are costing more and more it seems (or they're just forgetting how to stick to a budget).

If you're willing to wait a bit, there's probably a discount theater in your area. They show movies about 2-3 months later for much cheaper, and some go the extra mile of also being a restaurant, so you can have a proper meal while you watch the movie. I say it's a much better experience than your typical multi-plex.

As for 3D. Do a bit of research before going to see a movie to find out if it's actually filmed in 3D or if it's a conversion. Generally conversions are crap, although there are some exceptions (For Pacific Rim, the live action scenes were converted, but all of the CG was rendered in true 3D, and I say it's worth seeing in 3D for it.) By the time the movie is about the come out, the Wikipedia page should have the info on if it was converted or filmed in 3D.
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: Why Going To The Movies So Expensive?   Why Going To The Movies So Expensive? EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 6:21 am

well i don't remember what they were when i was a kid but they weren't $10 bucks a pop for one person. for a long time it was what $18 bucks for just 2 people. now it may be more.

either way that's far to much to go and see a movie. and it's even more if you see it in 3-D!
Back to top Go down
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: Why Going To The Movies So Expensive?   Why Going To The Movies So Expensive? EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 6:23 am

It's pretty much why, IMO anyway, a movie that made over 100 million in, say, 1980-1985, was much more impressive then now.

Not only were budgets smaller, but ticket prices were too.
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: Why Going To The Movies So Expensive?   Why Going To The Movies So Expensive? EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 7:39 am

oh i agree and it was before CGI and we had standard FX. hell did you see 'the little shop of horrors' blu-ray yet? the (1986) version i'm referring to here man. anyways, if you haven't if you even like the film i mean. check out the original ending man. and see how beautiful the sets were that were used

in the original ending. it was all standard FX. instead of some douch bag using a computer to put CGI in. my point is they had to use their brains back than on how this or that could be done at a good price and plus we didn't have actors/actress demanding million bucks for this or that role.
Back to top Go down
Toyland Chairman

Toyland Chairman

PostSubject: Re: Why Going To The Movies So Expensive?   Why Going To The Movies So Expensive? EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 10:07 am

My home town theatre has $6 tuesdays, but $8 if it's in 3-D

It used to be $4 tuesday until they got all that bloody 3-D equipment that they show every damn film in now. Evil or Very Mad 
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/demonictoys/
Otaku4Life

Otaku4Life

PostSubject: Re: Why Going To The Movies So Expensive?   Why Going To The Movies So Expensive? EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 10:58 am

Makes me wonder how Brad and the guys can afford going to the movie/midnight screenings every single week?
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: Why Going To The Movies So Expensive?   Why Going To The Movies So Expensive? EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 7:43 am

well my guess is that Blip pays him good money, and it also helps even more since he's using ads in some of his reviews. such as the midnight screenings for example. it doesn't mean he's rich but with all the material he gives to not only us but to blip as well. he's no doubt doing fine when it comes to money. this is just a guess of course.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why Going To The Movies So Expensive?   Why Going To The Movies So Expensive? Empty

Back to top Go down

Why Going To The Movies So Expensive?
Page 1 of 1