The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Bands you just HATE!!!!

Go down 
+7
jasn0_X
Skibz
kraufen
Mayan_Grungecaster
Angie Matera
Frank Rizzo
tonythe chosen
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Razzly

Razzly

Bands you just HATE!!!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bands you just HATE!!!!   Bands you just HATE!!!! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 2:49 pm

Can't say I'm a fan of Forms of Paper.

I dunno, I usually can find SOMETHING to like about something.

Back to top Go down
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: Bands you just HATE!!!!   Bands you just HATE!!!! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 10:28 am

Skibz wrote:
I honestly can't stand Emerson, Lake & Palmer

Oh, what a lucky man you are...
Back to top Go down
ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory

PostSubject: Re: Bands you just HATE!!!!   Bands you just HATE!!!! - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 1:32 am

I loathe Robin Thicke and his vapid white-boy R&B.

I didn't think it was scientifically possible to record a more obnoxious song than "Call Me Maybe" but this smarmy douche managed to do it.

And just to give you fellas some incentive to agree with me - he's somehow married to this:

Bands you just HATE!!!! - Page 2 Paula-Patton-Hot
(and is almost certainly cheating on her.)

Back to top Go down
http://anxietycloset.storenvy.com
Inquisitor

Inquisitor

PostSubject: Re: Bands you just HATE!!!!   Bands you just HATE!!!! - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 2:26 pm

I hate Nirvana and the grunge genre (Pearl Jam, Garbage, Hole, etc).

Beginning with them, I hate everything on the mainstream radio afterward to current. Truth be told, I like Glam Rock better than the shit that came afterward, the start was with the grunge era of rock and slowly slid into the gangster rap domination of pop music.
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: Bands you just HATE!!!!   Bands you just HATE!!!! - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 19, 2014 9:42 am

i despise grunge as well. i think it helped ruin music. i love glam rock as well. music today has gotten so shitty it's just sad. i don't even remember the last time i got into anyone current to be honest. what really saddens me is 20 years from now i don't even want to think about how bad music will be than.
Back to top Go down
Inquisitor

Inquisitor

PostSubject: Re: Bands you just HATE!!!!   Bands you just HATE!!!! - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 19, 2014 2:05 pm

wildhoney66 wrote:
i despise grunge as well. i think it helped ruin music. i love glam rock as well. music today has gotten so shitty it's just sad. i don't even remember the last time i got into anyone current to be honest. what really saddens me is 20 years from now i don't even want to think about how bad music will be than.

Don't get me wrong man. I'm not saying that new bands can't be good. I just don't think they get radio play. If you want good current music you have to dig in the underground, which is alright now with the internet. It used to be you had to have an in or be exposed via a friend and then look through catalogues that came with the CDs. I remember Epitaph used to pack a huge order form in the CDs they would sell.
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: Bands you just HATE!!!!   Bands you just HATE!!!! - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 20, 2014 11:27 am

well honestly i don't normally listen to the radio anyways. and if i i do it's the stations that play older music.
there's a LOT Of music either from the past or today that i haven't heard so... i was talking to someone at work yesterday and she was asking me if like this or that person and i asked who? and she was shocked i had never heard of them. she's 22 and a hot little thing. to bad she's got a boyfriend oh well. anyways. what i told her was that since i never heard of them i can't say if i like them so i try not to judge someone before i hear there music.

anyways. someone i was talking to this summer loves the rapper Future, i had never even heard of him before.
he loves him though. as for myself i don't like most of today's rap for example. but i do like Emiem and sorry for my shitty spelling. he spells his rapper name strange. as for grunge i tried listening to a variety of grunge groups once it hit it big in (1992) wasn't it? and it just doesn't appeal to me nor does most of today's music either i guess.
Back to top Go down
Skibz

Skibz

PostSubject: Re: Bands you just HATE!!!!   Bands you just HATE!!!! - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 23, 2014 10:31 am

Inquisitor wrote:
wildhoney66 wrote:

Don't get me wrong man.  I'm not saying that new bands can't be good.  I just don't think they get radio play.  If you want good current music you have to dig in the underground, which is alright now with the internet.  It used to be you had to have an in or be exposed via a friend and then look through catalogues that came with the CDs.  I remember Epitaph used to pack a huge order form in the CDs they would sell.

Exactly. That's how it's always been. There's been absolutely no decline in quality musicianship or songwriting, it's only the changing climate of popular culture which dictates what becomes widely heard and what doesn't, and that's where the internet saves us. People complaining about how "bad music has gotten" are basically just saying "I stopped listening to music a long time ago and now prefer to make generalizations based on Top 40 pop music".

Speaking for myself, my main genre is progressive rock; I almost entirely rely on the internet to find new music, and every year I hear plenty of contemporary bands release excellent albums chock full of original, challenging and experimental music. I'm still not going to turn on the TV and see Opeth performing an 11-minute suite on 'The Tonight Show'. Just because this music isn't as prominent as it was in the "good old days" doesn't mean the entire musical climate has gotten worse; just that the the method of delivery has changed. The same is true for every genre.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theskibz
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: Bands you just HATE!!!!   Bands you just HATE!!!! - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 23, 2014 11:17 am

well i don't refuse to try new music i never have. but i haven't heard anything good in recent years that i can say is good. what made me love or hate a band growing up was MTV & Vh1 and that's where i made a lot of my decisions. now that those channels are utter pieces of shit i don't have any way unless i go to you tube to watch a video. and that's NOT how it should be. how can i fall in love with a new bands music when i never see their video ? or find someone new i never heard of. for example for a band i fell in love with in high was the barenaked ladies.
when the song one Week came out. i thought they were terrible but i just loved that video cause it was a bat shit weird video and than i did fall in love with their music. because i enjoyed that bat shit video. we don't have that anymore. i don't see the point in having video music awards if there's no videos that nobody

sees on tv. unless they wake up at 4 am or 5 am to watch them. or if they watch them on you tube for example.
that's only if they hear the song on the radio. and not everyone listens to the radio. and its' just plain sad that we don't have videos or any kind of music channel anymore to help us get into new music. because the chanels we grew up on are nothing but reality tv now. and that pisses me off beyond belief
Back to top Go down
Skibz

Skibz

PostSubject: Re: Bands you just HATE!!!!   Bands you just HATE!!!! - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 23, 2014 11:38 am

wildhoney66 wrote:
well i don't refuse to try new music i never have. but i haven't heard anything good in recent years that i can say is good. what made me love or hate a band growing up was MTV & Vh1 and that's where i made a lot of my decisions. now that those channels are utter pieces of shit i don't have any way unless i go to you tube to watch a video. and that's NOT how it should be. how can i fall in love with a new bands music when i never see their video ? or find someone new i never heard of. for example for a band i fell in love with in high was the barenaked ladies.
when the song one Week came out. i thought they were terrible but i just loved that video cause it was a bat shit weird video and than i did fall in love with their music. because i enjoyed that bat shit video. we don't have that anymore. i don't see the point in having video music awards if there's no videos that nobody

sees on tv. unless they wake up at 4 am or 5 am to watch them. or if they watch them on you tube for example.
that's only if they hear the song on the radio. and not everyone listens to the radio. and its' just plain sad that we don't have videos or any kind of music channel anymore to help us get into new music. because the chanels we grew up on are nothing but reality tv now. and that pisses me off beyond belief

The basis of your complaint is still entirely with the method of music promotion and distribution, not the actual music itself. You can't say that music sucks today because MTV doesn't play music videos anymore. It was one thing in the '80s and '90s, but the internet has effectively made music video channels obsolete. That's just the way it is now and there's no use fighting it. I guess I just don't understand your position because the internet has made it incredibly easier to discover and listen to new and old music. I follow several music websites, blogs and message boards which keep me updated on new bands. Sites like Pandora and Last.fm specialize in helping you discover new music. Record labels still make compilation albums (my favorite way of discovering new bands in the late '90s/early '00s), usually as free downloads. Heck, music magazines are still plentiful and relevant. I just don't get still relying on MTV or VH1 in 2014, other than for nostalgic purposes.
Back to top Go down
Inquisitor

Inquisitor

PostSubject: Re: Bands you just HATE!!!!   Bands you just HATE!!!! - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 23, 2014 7:02 pm

Skibz wrote:
The basis of your complaint is still entirely with the method of music promotion and distribution, not the actual music itself. You can't say that music sucks today because MTV doesn't play music videos anymore. It was one thing in the '80s and '90s, but the internet has effectively made music video channels obsolete. That's just the way it is now and there's no use fighting it. I guess I just don't understand your position because the internet has made it incredibly easier to discover and listen to new and old music. I follow several music websites, blogs and message boards which keep me updated on new bands. Sites like Pandora and Last.fm specialize in helping you discover new music. Record labels still make compilation albums (my favorite way of discovering new bands in the late '90s/early '00s), usually as free downloads. Heck, music magazines are still plentiful and relevant. I just don't get still relying on MTV or VH1 in 2014, other than for nostalgic purposes.

I agree mostly. I remember the magical post grunge pre gangster rap era of the 90s when almost any kind of music could get played on the radio and had videos on MTV. That’s how I discovered one of my favorite bands Reel Big Fish. The problem is with eras of popular music is that there appears to be these strangleholds of genres and they refuse to die or let anything else squeeze by. Almost as if the marketing departments successfully attempt to shun another genre in favor of the one they are marketing. And even with that, it’s nothing new for the 80s and 90s in the final death throes of ‘Music Television’. What about referencing an earlier thread about the death of Disco? The only real problem with music now-a-days is from a marketing stand point. There are some executives pushing and pulling on public opinion that suits their wallets, not the minds of free-thinking art aficionados.

So the decline of the music video is a sad one; one that it did not rightly deserve given the genre expanding past. But with the advent of the internet there is the new outlet. Given that I prefer a style of music that would never be played on the radio, I really like things like Pandora that usually play songs I’ve heard, but on the rare occasion clue me in on a band I’ve never heard before.
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: Bands you just HATE!!!!   Bands you just HATE!!!! - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2014 9:21 am

well the thing is what music i have heard of today i don't like. my tastes in music are all over the place. like on my Ipod i have some Emimen and some ICP. to some John Mellencamp and some Led Zepplin to the beach boys, to Simon & Garfunkel so my tastes are all over the place. but there hasn't been anyone recent that i have liked that i have heard. hell i bought Weird Al's new album and other than a couple songs on it, it's one of his weaker albums. i didn't think his last one was that great either. though the album hit No.1 which was his 1st album that hit that.

MTV & VH1 may be a thing of the past but it's sad that the internet has done that. i do use You tube but if i do it's to watch movies on or music i like. i have heard of Reel Big Fish it's SKA ain't it? i don't know their music though.

i love No Doubt's Ska in their early days though. and another thing is not all but a lot has people singing using a machine. and that's just not music either. iv'e heard plenty of artists who can sing i just don't like their music. i also try to keep an open in hearing new music but even with that i still haven't heard anyone recent i like. in the 2000 i did discover a great number of bands i like but than we did have VH1 at the time as well. well for the 1st half of it anyways. i also like the underground stuff as well. but not a lot of it though.
Back to top Go down
Skibz

Skibz

PostSubject: Re: Bands you just HATE!!!!   Bands you just HATE!!!! - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2014 11:00 am

Yeah, but can you give examples of "the music of today" you don't like that isn't Top 40 material? I always compile a list of my favorite albums of each year, and maybe 18 out of 20 releases are independent bands who would never receive an ounce of promotion in the US outside of niche websites/publications/etc. These days you actually have to put forth effort to discover great new music; you can't just expect it to find you and then when it doesn't claim that "today's music" isn't good anymore.

Effort is the most important thing when it comes to seriously listening to music. Ska is a fantastic example because it was actually the first genre that I really got into in high school. Bands like Reel Big Fish and The Mighty Mighty Bosstones were still popular at the time; you could buy their albums at Best Buy or Circuit City and sometimes they'd even pop up on the radio or VH1. I liked the genre enough that I put forth the effort into delving more deeply into it on the internet; I discovered thousands of bands past and present from all over the world, dozens and dozens of which were infinitely better than popular groups like RBF and remain personal favorites to this day. I became familiar with ska-based record labels, festivals and news sites, and even long, long after ska was no longer relevant in America, I was still privy to new bands and music. I can easily say the quality of the scenes today are much better than it was in the '90s, since today's bands are doing it strictly out of their love of the genre and not for a quick buck because it's the flavor of the week on MTV.

The point is, good music in every genre will always exist, but the methods of finding it will change. In any case, you still have to find it yourself.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bands you just HATE!!!!   Bands you just HATE!!!! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Bands you just HATE!!!!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2